After Two Tinnitus Onsets That Subsided, It's Now Permanent

Discussion in 'Support' started by bmguitar, Dec 17, 2019.

1. bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      Hi,

I joined this forum 4 years ago due to my 2nd onset of my tinnitus from a loud concert. This lasted for about 2-3 months and it slowly subsided to a volume that I could tolerate, and over the years I have not thought about my tinnitus too much and completely forgot about this forum. I thought of myself to be lucky that it didn't last too long.

Fast forward to July 2019, I was at a band practice in Tokyo and while setting up a microphone there was a HUGE feedback from the speaker which was right next to me, and it gave me tinnitus again. Considering that my two previous tinnitus subsided after a few months, I thought it would be the same again this time around. But 5 months in, the volume hasn't subsided at all and I still haven't habituated.

I started my new life in Japan in April and I was trying to settle into the new environment and work. This tinnitus incident only happened 3 months into my Japan life, and after struggling for a few months I decided to move back to New Zealand, as it was too stressful to handle this on my own. All the fuss I went through to move to a new country down the drain, just like that.

I used to be full of hope and energy, and was pretty excited about my new adventure abroad. But all that crumbled due to a stupid accident and now I am back home with my parents, jobless. The mental damage is huge and I cannot imagine going back to work and leading a normal life.

Here are the list of things I have tried (that didn't work):

Prednisone
      Magnesium
      Zinc
      Curcumin (Longvida)
      L-theanine
      Vitamin B12
      MCT oil
      R. David Case's Tinnitus Mix
      Craniosacral therapy
      Reiki (I know I was quite desperate)
      48-72hrs fasting X 4
      Keto/Carnivore diet (though not strict)

I'm desperate to get rid of tinnitus, but we all know that it isn't that simple. I am still resisting to accept the fact that this is likely to stick around, but today I am starting to think that the only way to get out of this suffering is to accept, stop trying to get rid of it, ignore the fact that I have tinnitus, and move towards habituation.

I know many of you have suffered from tinnitus a lot longer than I have, but some support would be much appreciated.

I apologise for the long wall of text.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      A large city like Tokyo can be tough with noise trauma because of the loud traffic, subways, restaurants, bars etc..
      At least you tried prednisone, which is the only thing which may help

Give it 2-3 years and you will habituate again.

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Agreed!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      If you have hearing loss, you may want to try hearing aids to see if they can "lessen" the ringing by amplifying ambient noise. They seem to help some with me. Fish oil has helped my depression a lot but it took a couple of weeks or so for it to work for that symptom. I found it worked for me better if I took it in the afternoon than late at night but that could be just me. I hope you feel better asap.

5. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Just don't feel guilty. It's our human nature, we make mistakes all the time. Your story is similar to mine. I ruined my "second chances".

Seems like enjoying music is not for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really have hearing loss (perhaps micro hearing loss that I cannot sense).

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      The microphone was set up by another guy. Although it wasn't his intention to give me T, I find it hard to forgive him...

After all, what's done is done. I need to find a way to live from now onwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      It doesn’t help you now, I always had earplugs in when setting up for the gig because you never know when some wanker will drop a mic, or trip over his guitar.

I would then put my IEMs in right before the gig started.

We have tinnitus... we have to protect ourselves from the people around us.

I’m sorry that happened to you.

9. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Any idea how loud the sound was? How far were you from the speaker?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      I usually wear earplugs when I go to gigs, but I never saw this coming. I guess you never know when the accident is gonna happen. Just unfortunate...

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      It was about two meters away from me, and it was VERY loud (I felt something in my ears). Funny how it was on my righthand side, but I have tinnitus in both my ears.

12. Curtis
      Energetic

Curtis Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      Hearing aids have been the best for helping my tinnitus this year. Truly life enhancing for me.

13. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      How is your tinnitus now?

14. Alex Murray

Alex Murray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,

Hope you’re doing okay. This sounds really shit..especially having tinnitus a couple times that has gone away naturally. I completely understand and can relate to loosing hope and and feeling exhausted because of the tinnitus. It can be draining. From my experience, the best way to deal with tinnitus is to try...if you can.....to relax and get used to the sound. I know this might sound mental. But it’s 10000000% possible. I’ve had tinnitus for 15 years and I know exactly how you feel. I hear the sounds but they really don’t bother me anymore. You will naturally tune the sounds out and they will fade into the background for the majority of the day. When you hear it again you can relax knowing it’ll tune out again soon. I can hear my tinnitus all the time but my brain tunes it out a tonne so it really doesn’t bother me at all. If you can, try not to let the noise scare you. It’ll be okay and you’ll go back to living normally.

• Informative Informative x 1