Age-Related Hearing Loss + Tinnitus (Can It Disappear? Which Supplements Are Recommended?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tigo, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      Can tinnitus that is related to age related hearing loss disappear?
      My tinnitus is two years old and so is my hearing loss!

Which supplements are recommended for this form of tinnitus?

Are here members that has T from presbyacusis (age-related hearing loss)?

And what does it do for tinnitus over time? Can it go away or will it increase?

I'm curious about your story!

2. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Well, it hasn't for you...kidding. ;)

In the active ENT thread, have a read. Not all old age hearing loss is due to the same mechanism.
      Unfortunately, it takes a deep dive to get to the bottom of your or my particular hearing loss and tinnitus.
      Greg in the current ENT thread writes eloquently about some of the testing protocol. For example, the bones in our bodies grow throughout our lifetime...noses, ears and chin become larger for example and the bones within our skull change to. So older people can develop what is called otosclerosis which changes sound conduction and hence can generate T. Don't know how this is reversible unless surgery is employed if you have it determined by testing, and surgery has only a 50% success rate...only hope with or without surgery is for the neural pathways of the brain to morph and tune out your tinnitus which is probably a tall order. Also keep in mind when you ask such a question you get a skewed sample. Most whose tinnitus has resolved no longer frequent this website.

Have to ask, how old are you and is your tinnitus loud? Do you wear hearing aids and do they have sound enrichment capability? Does your tinnitus vary a lot one day to the next?...and have you habituated to the point where generally throughout the day, you can tune it out and don't notice it?

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Just to be clear, the surgery (a stapedotomy) has a 90+% success rate to fix the hearing. However, only about 50% success to help the Tinnitus part.
      Doctors will tell you "do this surgery to recover hearing, not to get rid of T. If you get rid of T while you do it, consider yourself lucky".

4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      And speaking of luck and tinnitus which most believe are at odds...better to be lucky than good. :)

An oldie but a goodie:
      Dirty Harry Do You ( I ) Feel Lucky Punk? (...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      The most members here have T from noise induced hearing loss but I read little about members that have T from presbyacusis (age related hearing loss)!

My T started three years ago and has increased in volume in the last year !!

What can I expect over the next coming years ? More increase ? or can it also diminish ?

I'd like to read your story