Air Raid Sirens for Religious Purposes in NYC

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Luman, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      There are several ultra-orthodox Synagogues in Brooklyn that use extremely loud air raid sirens to alert their members of the impending Shabbat, and other religious holidays. They ring it twice every Friday, for 90 seconds, 15 minutes before sundown, and then again at sundown for 90 seconds. One of these sirens (not the same location as the one in the news story/video) is about 1.5 miles from me, close enough to hear but not enough to do damage. I don't know if the one in the neighborhood of Bed-Stuy is still operating, but the one in my area is.

WARNING: If you are going to watch the videos, turn your speakers down before doing so.

Complaints About Synagogue Siren

NY Post newspaper article and video:
      http://nypost.com/2016/10/26/this-synagogues-absurdly-loud-siren-is-pissing-people-off/

“It’s so loud, it takes your breath away,” said Aaron Graubart, 48, a food photographer who said he complained to the DEP and a worker came out to measure the decibels from his apartment.

He said it registered 106 – which is close to a chain saw – from his window.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Gee, ...In an already noisy environment, no less. Aren't they considerate?

You just can't fix that kind of "STUPID."

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      :(

4. Maple

Maple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Don't they know by now what time the sun sets on a given day? And do they actually have to be alerted twice? Any why two 90 second blasts? Hey synagogue goers, when it starts getting dark on Friday evening it means the sun is setting!

• Like Like x 1
    5. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is why I hate living in NY :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      New here. First post.

It makes me sad to read this. I've wanted to visit NYC at Christmas, for many years and now due to my tinnitus and sound sensitivity, I feel I'll never be able to, not even with ear plugs.

I was wondering what it was like to live in NYC with these conditions. I've been there only once in my very early twenties and the first thing I noticed then was the noise pollution.

Anyways sorry to be a little personal - yes the alarm is ridiculous.

Take Care.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I walk around Manhattan every week, without earplugs, and it's noisy, but I don't think it's enough to cause any damage to me. You won't hear any air raid sirens in Manhattan. I don't know anything about your level of sensitivity, damage, etc., so trust your instincts and stay away if you feel that it would be dangerous for you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why take the risk?!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand why some would feel that way, but don't believe that it's a risk, for me. I have seen no evidence that street noise, even in a large city, makes tinnitus or hearing loss worse. I did have problems due to overprotecting my hearing for a couple of months. I always carry plugs with me, because if a situation arises when I really need them, I'll be prepared.

• Like Like x 2
    10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      So this is how you get semitic-influenced tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Ty for letting me know. Maybe it isn't as bad as I imagine :) I'd like to go next Holiday Season. My sensitivity is moderate to mild. It varies. My tinnitus has steadily worsened but I think earplugs would be good enough. I suppose one must think that it could not be loud enough to actually damage your hearing or else everyone living there would be susceptible to hearing damage.

TC!

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The solution to this mystery is that our ears have been compromised and the noises that healthy people won't even notice can cause temporary or permanent spikes for us.

Your body is sending you signals (i.e., louder T) that it can't handle the noises you are exposing it to. I am not sure you should be planning to visit NYC unless you don't care about the risk of having to listen to louder T for the rest of your life. Ear plugs can give a false sense of security.

Some examples:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/earplugs-muffs-give-very-little-protection.21737/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-much-worse-after-club-despite-wearing-solid-35-db-custom-earplugs-—-im-at-my-wits-end.15744/#post-186018

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/bad-spike-not-subsiding-after-loud-bar-—-despite-wearing-properly-inserted-earplugs.20675/#post-239000

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...t-an-acoustic-trauma-shock.18964/#post-219363

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...le-in-real-life-situations.19067/#post-220314

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/33-decibel-earplug-not-protecting-from-sound.22151/

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert

Is true Bill and I thank you for your concern and taking time to show me multiple posts.

I've gone over this so many times..I am not THAT far from NYC. I suppose I could drive there and stay out of city if it proves to be too much...but realistically I will probably never go again. (I've been a couple times already) but not at Christmas. :(

• Like Like x 2
    14. Rob Hammer

Rob Hammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      painful syringing
      I'm three months into T and i would hate the thought of never being able to travel to NYC again. I've been many times and love the galleries, restaurants, and some live plays. I don't like this tinnitus at all. Its a hard adjustment and i don't even know if its permanent with me, but it seems pretty permanent when I'm hearing the ringing 24/7.
      i wish everyone here some peace, at least in our hearts, if not in our ears. I am renovating at home and now wear hearing protection whenever i operate tools. Some folks hear have suggested i don't use power tools even with protection. , at least not for the first many months of getting T. I'm not sure what to do with this suggestion.

• Hug Hug x 1