Airbag Deployment in a Car Accident — Delayed Symptoms 7 Days Later: Ear Fullness, Sound Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Support' started by jpr992, Aug 21, 2020.

1. jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dear members,

I would like to have your opinion about the following situation.

Background: I had an acoustic trauma 5 years ago from an alarm, which gave me immediate ear pain and fullness feeling. Several days later, I developed hyperacusis and tinnitus, which subsided after a few months. I still use earplugs for some situations, but I could manage pretty well the situation.

Unfortunately, last week I had a car accident (front collision), which deployed the driver and passenger airbags (I was driving). Luckily, I was wearing earplugs, which were not very deeply inserted, but still gave a significant amount of protection. At the time of the accident, I was very worried about any hearing damage, but I didn’t feel any pain or fullness feeling. I also didn’t notice any increase in my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Nothing. Everything was normal. Therefore, I was very happy because of this. However, yesterday (7 days after de accident) I notice the fullness feeling in my ears and I felt a little bit more sensitive to sounds.

Do you think this is related to the accident? Or do you think it could be related to my anxiety due to other health issues I have been dealing since the accident, namely dizziness caused by the head concussion against the airbag?

PS.: yesterday, a car honked 3 meters away from me, but I was wearing earplugs and I didn’t feel any pain, and didn’t feel the sound was very loud. I think it was not the cause either.

Best regards,

Joao

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      If you’re concerned I’d get a hearing test as soon as possible to see if there is any hearing loss. You might also call your doctor and ask for prednisone to help relieve any inflammation.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Do you think this is related with the accident? The fullness feeling is not constant, it comes and goes several times a day, as well as my sound sensivity.
      Should I take prednisone 10 days after the accident anyway? I have deflazacort which is the same thing I guess.

4. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      It could be. I know people get hearing problems and fullness many days after an acoustic trauma and not suddenly when it happens. I would think that deflazacort would work the same as prednisone since it is derived from it. Hopefully since yours comes and goes it will get better over time and completely go away.

5. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I am going through the same thing. I have suffered 3 acoustic traumas in a span of 3 weeks. A metal door (93dB) slammed near me at home. The fire alarm (103dB) went off inside my apartment and someone slammed a wooden door at a shop near me.

I've been having clogged ear (only 1) and definitely hyperacusis. It was getting netter but it's back after the third trauma. I want to take prednisone but I've taken it 6 times before in the last year and half for other traumas.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      But did your symptoms take 1 week to show up after the incident? I mean, did you have 1 week without any pain, fullness, or increased H and T ?

7. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I had a similar incident in August, with side airbags deploying after an accident. I was wearing ear plugs and had no problems afterwards. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1