alan d.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by alan dorey, Nov 27, 2014.

1. alan dorey

alan dorey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-1-14
      hello I have had tinnitus for three months in both ears different tones. I have it all the time. some days are worse than others. some days I cant function don't want to get out of bed. it is hard to deal with this when you realize you may have it for ever. I am doing every thing diet wise I can. every where I go on the web I read about Thomas colemans tinnitus program. has anybody out there tried this does it work has anybody had any success with this or any of the sound treatments that are out there. please advise thank you alan d.

2. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Alan…

I am sorry to hear about your T… Unfortunately there isn't any miracle cure for T, you will find some threads on that book on the alternative medicine section, I suggest you to read them and make up your own mind about it… :) At first I heard about it too but after reading about it I didn't bother trying it as it seems just another "snake oil" remedy...

It seems that for us T-sufferers Habituation is the main "road to recovery" and to re-learn to live a regular life with it…

Then again it is such a subjective condition that maybe yours will go away anyway… Or so I wish you.. :)

best of luck..

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alan dorey

alan dorey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-1-14
      hi Lorenzo thank you for responding to my post. I am 62 and trying to habituate. some days are better than others. I am trying to figure out how to stop the spikes. I have fillings in my teeth that are leaking and I have read that they can contribute to tinnitus since mercury is an ototoxic chemical. I am going to have the fillings removed to see if it helps. today the sounds are louder than most days but I am going to spend time with my family for thanksgiving anyway. I am having some good luck with Xanax for sleep one half milligram only. it seems to lower the sound a little for the first part of the day. I am using while it I try to habituate. I don't like meds so I wont use it long. do you know anything about tinnitus retraining therapy. I live in Fayetteville Arkansas. where do you live. I will pray for god to heal both of us and to give us the strength to make it through a day at a time. happy thanksgiving alan.

4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      It's a scam.

At best, it is equal to a placebo effect (minus the "effect" it has on your wallet, that is...)

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Alain,

I live in Italy, no thanksgiving for me around here, but I am sure you guys will have a great evening, I know the importance it has in America.

It's good to try and understand the causes and try different avenues like the tooth filling, though what I found most relief from was what we call habituation, which only comes from time and acceptance and a lot of patience… :)

I hope you will may find a cause for your T and cure it altogether, or at least I wish you for a fast habituation.

Happy Thanksgiving then to you and your family.. Ciao !

6. Martin Jensen
      Fine

Martin Jensen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I agree with @Lorenzo74 . right now you are in turmoil and only three months in. I am myslef in a worse place than a few weeks ago due to recent noise exposure. But my message to you is the same as Lorenzo74. You are only three months in and looking for that cause or cure that will take all the pain away. Don't get me wrong I truly understand your suffering. It is very real in the beginning when first acquiring tinnitus. BUT, you will not feel like this forever. Your brain will gradually start ignoring the tinnitus signal and you will find that you get more andmore back of the old you. Go out, even if you feel like staying in. Tinnitus is a bully and wants you to be avictim. You are not. You don't have to suffer - you experience tinnitus and will get used to it in time. First by not reacting to the sound, then by starting to ignore it. Right now, your emotions are triggered every time you hear you rtinnitus. This is normal. You will be fine. In two to three months time, you will probably feel better already. Don't let it beat you down. Stop looking for cures. There are none. Good luck.

7. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Hey Martin thanks I'm 3 months into T it is a real hard condition to deal with but I have heard over and over it will get better so alan I live in Tennessee right next door to arkansas we are in the same boat your not alone buddy :):thankyousign:

any time you want to talk alan I'm

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alan dorey

alan dorey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-1-14
      hello martin Jensen and uncle vikin and Lorenzo. thank all of you for responding to me so quickly. today was a better day than most. noise was not as loud and for some reason I was able to function and not bothered as much by it. is this maybe what habituation is? it is nice to hear from others who have this condition although I whish none of you did. it is hard to get others who don't have it to understand what its like. it is the hardest thing I have ever gone through.

9. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      Hi Alan
      The posts above by the other guys are spot-on. With them I sympathise with you. T is a bully that is best positively ignored. You can train your brain to ignore this and by so doing will not allow it to impact on your life. Keep active to keep your mind off it and avoid quiet times, silence. I am a great believer in white/pink noise which I have on mp3s and play through earplugs at night and I sleep like a log. It works for me, maybe not for everyone.
      You asked about Tinnitus Retraining Therapy - it is a program developed by Pawel Jastreboff and Jonathon Hazell - Google 'Tinnitus Retraining Therapy T Jastreboff' and you should come up with something. There is a website describing it in some detail. These guys also wrote a book describing the treatment, it is aimed at TRT practitioners but it helped me to understand the model Jastreboff developed and how TRT works.
      Good luck with it all - you can make it work, not to cure it but to live with it by pushing it into the background. Beware of the Snake Oil promoters - they are out there by the cartload and they prey on the desperate. If in doubt ask on this forum like you did with Coleman - there are plenty of people here who have already sussed out a/holes like him.
      Stay positive - it's early days and you have that in your favour - don't allow T to become hard entrenched like mine, because I didn't do anything about it for fifteen years - but work on this now and you will not let T dictate your life. (But it still wasn't too late for me, which I am eternally grateful for). I am winning this fight, even now!
      This forum has heaps of people who have been / are going through all this. We're all in this together.
      Go for it Alan - the very best to you.
      Ray

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alan dorey

alan dorey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-1-14
      thank you ray for your kind words of support and encouragement. thank all you guys for your kindness in responding to my posts. they come at a much needed time. they help me to not feel alone. ray after fifteen years do you have a pretty normal life. are you able to have good days and enjoy things you like doing. I see the picture of your motorcycle. I have two mustangs a Shelby and a saleen iam going to try and work on my saleen today and get it back on the road. I have changed my diet and added some supplements to it which seem to be helping. I have good days and bad days. I am trying to figure out what makes my tinnitus spike on some days and not on others. I see a lot of treatments listed on this forum and am wondering if I should try any of them. some of the members have had some success. I tried serenade by sound cure and it makes my tinnitus worse. going to return the device. I am going to take some time now and pray for god to give us the strength we need to get through this day. I am making a commitment to do this each and every day for all of us. I look forward to hearing from all thank you guys for your love and kindness alan d.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alan dorey

alan dorey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-1-14
      hello Lorenzo 74 alan dorey here just a note to say hi and see how you are doing. I have had a couple of days of t not being so loud thank god. I had a good massage that relieved stress and my t got quieter. I am going to try cranial sacrail therapy to see if it helps will let everyone know. you are all in my prayers. alan

12. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey Alan !!!

Good to hear you had a couple of quiet days.. It's good to get a break from time to time.. I am ok… I heard crania-sacral can help some cases, it is a bit expensive as usually it takes a few sessions to see benefits… I did try it but didn't do it long enough… I did enjoy the times I did it though..

Best of luck to All !!!!