Alarm Clock Damage

Discussion in 'Support' started by sven1987, Aug 22, 2017.

1. sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      For some reason I set my alarm clock this morning and it went off this morning.

Now my ears feel full and my tinnitus has gotten louder. The alarm went off for only 3 seconds, so I was wondering if this could have caused permanent damage.

It couldn't have been more than 80 decibels right?

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      What kind of alarm clock, phone's? Digital or not, there's obviously different volume levels, so impossible to say how loud. Maybe you could try to test it out? Put proper hearing protection on, place a decibel meter at the same distance you were from the alarm... to reproduce the situation as best as you can.

Yet 3 seconds is a short time and this chart describes a general "alarm clock" as 80 decibels.

DailyMail is touting this alarm clock as "the world's loudest", at 90 decibels, and even that, for 3 seconds - doubtful to cause permanent damage...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Unless this clock uses explosives to wake you up - you're fine

• Funny Funny x 2
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I think the shock of the sound, probably gave you a spike. Stress, anxiety and even excitement can bring on a spike. Hope you feel better :)

• Like Like x 2
    5. presto

presto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Presto alarm on ipad on loudest setting next to head
      I actually have a simular thing or alarm clock damage but only in one ear . I had my alarm clock set to presto on my ipad and had it on the loudest setting on 2 days ago and it was on the pillo next to my head but not too close but i guess i must of rolled when i was sleeping amd it ended like half a foot away from me and at first i kept hearing the presto alarm like really loumd but now its faded ots waay kore quiet bit is this permanet or what cani do to help decrease or stop the sound. Its only in my right ear

6. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It's not likely to have done any damage. I would be worried if I had an alarm clock like this guy on youtube.
      This actually made me smile. Some crazy people out there.
      (WARNING: Video contains loud noise at end, so keep the volume low).
      World's Loudest Alarm Clock!

7. presto

presto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Presto alarm on ipad on loudest setting next to head
      Its faded . I can still hear it at night if i try but its much quieter than before . Does that mean its more likely to go away ?

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am pretty sure (based on the experiences I read about on this forum) that if it faded in less than a month, eventually you will stop hearing it.