Alarm Went Off On Me

RichardRR

Author
Feb 11, 2015
Tinnitus Since
10/2011
So this morning I was coming down my stairs and like usual I disable my motion sensor, but the beep it made was actually from me setting it off and not from me hitting the button. Less than a minute later it goes off at 120 decibels, and I quickly put my fingers in my ears as to only have a few seconds of exposure. I hit the button again and off it goes.

Was this brief moment enough to damage my hearing/ worsen my tinnitus? I couldn't actually tell you if I'm worse now because the anxiety from it would make me say yes.

Thanks

You'll be fine, we all have these moments. It's the longer exposure you need to worry about, not a few seconds. Even if it is slightly louder now, it should settle down to base line soon.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. 120db at 10 feet ends up being a lot less than 120db, and 120db for a few seconds doesn't sound like a problem to start with.
You'll be fine, we all have these moments. It's the longer exposure you need to worry about, not a few seconds. Even if it is slightly louder now, it should settle down to base line soon.

Thank you both, it just sucks when this sort of thing happens..

Hi Richard, this things always happen, alarms, sirens, kids screaming, motorcycles... i have just don't care that much about things i can't handle, and i have not got any worse. I do care in basic things as using earplugs in noise environment, when riding public transport, etc. Don't worry you will be fine for sure.

So this morning I was coming down my stairs and like usual I disable my motion sensor, but the beep it made was actually from me setting it off and not from me hitting the button. Less than a minute later it goes off at 120 decibels, and I quickly put my fingers in my ears as to only have a few seconds of exposure. I hit the button again and off it goes.

Was this brief moment enough to damage my hearing/ worsen my tinnitus? I couldn't actually tell you if I'm worse now because the anxiety from it would make me say yes.

Thanks
@RichardRR..same exact thing happend to me ..I assure you that your T will be back to baseline in 2-4 weeks .

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now