Albatross Chick Live Webcam

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connie3140, May 25, 2017.

1. Connie3140

Connie3140 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss
      I just wanted to share a live webcam that I watch daily. It's very relaxing. It's of some Laysan Albatross chicks that hatched on Kauai, in the Hawaiian Islands. The main chick on the cam is named Kalama and he/she was hatched on Jan. 26. In probably less than two months, Kalama will fledge, taking off over the Pacific and not returning to land again for 3-4 years. Albatross are amazing. These birds fly several thousand miles at a time to forage for squid to feed the chicks. The Kauai birds fly to Alaska and Japan, leaving the chicks alone for up to two weeks after they're about a month old. Here's the link:

Cornell Lab | Kauai Laysan Albatross Cam

Right now Kalama is at the stage where he/she is losing his down and the adult feathers are coming in. Kalama was raised by two female albatross who had an infertile egg. His egg was taken from a nest that was two close to a runway, and the two females raised him/her. You can read more about Kalama and Laysan Albatross here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/bird-cams-faq-laysan-albatross-nest/

Connie

• Like Like x 3
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks!

I enjoy watching a YouTube channel dedicated to a pet owl. I am having trouble pasting a link here, as this site treats it like an embedded YouTube clip.

Here are some sample clips:
      Филин Ёль в гостях у филина Нафани

and
      Филин Ёль и кот породы Мейн-кун.

and
      Мимими и уруру филина. Голос Ёлки.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Connie3140

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss
      Thanks, Bill. That's really cool. I watched one of them and ran across this one with a really cute baby owl. I'm guessing it's in Russia.

Не очень милый домовый сыч Гнусь

• Like Like x 1
    4. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Don't take me wrong, but I swear I though about another kind of "chicks on webcams" and was like "what the hell".

Well, I guess, whatever webcam works :D

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for the clip! I thought I saw all of these clips, but I actually haven't seen that one. And it is one of the better clips.

Yes, the owner lives in Russia. I happen to speak Russian. (My family left Ukraine close to 30 years ago.)

"Yoll" (the name of the channel and a word you hear often there) is the name of the big owl. It means "spruce."

The owner of the channel works as an ornithologist at one of Moscow's airports. She works with an eagle to scare wild birds away from the airport, to reduce the chances of birds being sucked into plane engines. You can see her and her eagle at work in some of the videos. The reason I am mentioning this is that it looks like she knows what she is doing when it comes to birds of prey. Her birds look happy and healthy.

In the top clip, she is introducing her female owl to the male of the species.

I will definitely be watching the albatross birds! There is something very cool about being able to see how these guys are doing right at this moment. Thank you!

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      :) The supply of pictures of actual chicks is a lot lower than the supply of the other kind. This makes these images very precious.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Connie3140

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1