Alcohol and Its Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louise, Jan 26, 2013.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      That's an odd post Undecided :)

No, the best way into Ketosis is to avoid all sugar and carbs and eat lots of fat.

This isn't a thread about the Ketogenic diet but I like to mention anything I discover which is helping me and could help other people.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ginja99

Ginja99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Histamines
      Alcohol makes it worse for me and my Dr said it's because it's high in histamines - T could be caused by a histamine intolerance

3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Alcohol has no negative effects for me but helps reduce my perception/concern about it for a little while. Responsible drinking in my view is better than taking meds from a psych/physio POV. Of course meds have their place if needed and not at the same time as consuming alcohol. ;)

My reaction to a certain benzo was not so nice and that was only after taking tiny amounts each day over a couple of weeks, earlier this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Alcohol makes it better during but worse after!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      A bottle of whisky for breakfast then another for lunch then a sensible dinner what T?

6. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      I have not noticed anything. Last new year I was at my friends house in sauna while my friends were outside watching fireworks. I was there and drinking liquor that I found in my friends kitchen it was pretty strong over 50%. I almost drank the whole bottle and my T did not spike during the night. When I have been drinking my T hasn't spiked.

7. mache_salinas
      Daring

mache_salinas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey! I know this is an old threat but couldn’t resist since I have many questions about alcohol and I’m new you T.
      I’m very young, but because of my culture I used to drink a lot, like heavily on the weekends almost every weekend for a couple of years. (I don’t j ow if that contributed to me getting T but whatever...)
      Before getting T I didn’t drink much because of being with my family and after it, I was so scared about some stuff I read about alcohol could cause hearing loss, increased tinnitus perce. I really want to start going out with friends again, having some drinks and enjoy the night. God I’m 20...can’t allow myself to live a life as if I were 20 years older than I am now. Maybe not so many questions lol but your opinion is the best I have for now!

8. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      After extesnsive reseatch on the subject, i've come to the following scientific conclusions:
      - Red wine is bad.
      - Any cheap whiskey (40% alcohol) will get you to silence after 2-3 glasses. If you are not poor, a higher quality whiskey will also entertain you. Personally i cannot stand its taste so i fill a glass with coca cola and 10%-15% booze.
      - Vodka does not do it for me, no matter which brand i choose. I just get kinda drunk, no effect on tinnitus. Don't know why, maybe there's something in the drink? I'm no expert.
      - Gin and rum are definite tinnitus reducers. Maybe learn to fix a nice cocktail with them, have 2-3 glasses, you're good to go.
      - A very strong beer will help, after about 8 bottles so it's out of the question (sleep and pee don't make for a good combo). It's just not potent enough and just drinking beer is silly, you have to afcompany it with some extremely nasty food which usually adds pounds.
      - I definitely reccomend a nice liquer, like limoncello or masticha, about 25% to 30% volume, it will get you there eventually, plus they taste fantastic.

I have no remedy for the following day, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Nicola8478

Nicola8478 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      Ive stopped taking Sertraline cus it’s caused spike and have just been putting a bit of brandy in my tea to relax me at night. Is this ok so you think?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think a tot of Brandy is way healthier than Sertraline :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Even 2 tots are way healthier I'd say, @Louise

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Alcohol makes mine go way down I noticed.

13. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I've recently got hooked on wild turkey American honey because of a sore throat. It took away the sore throat in one night and it completely demolishes my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    14. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I had 6 beers last night which is much more than I usually drink and my tinnitus is really loud today.....

15. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      I've never been a drinker. Since onset my habbit had drastically changed. Now I love having a couple of beers a day just to numb my T a bit. Yes, if you drink a lot, pay consequences the next day... The same goes for other substances that I really shouldn't have taken...

16. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      The above is great advice. Whatever helps, stay away from what makes it worse. There will be ups and downs.

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      So strange I am the exact opposite. When my tinnitus is cured I think I'm gonna cut down alot.