All Ears Campaign

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by attheedgeofscience, Feb 15, 2018.

1. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      An article covering the story behind the All Ears campaign was featured in The Independent a few days ago. The article points out concepts such as "vanity" and "sound distortion" as reasons for people not using earplugs at gigs or nightclubs. The type of earplugs being sold by the All Ears campaign aims to do away with at least one of those problems while also tackling a third one: people not getting tinnitus after a night out!

With regards to vanity (i.e. being seen wearing earplugs), this does surprise me. How can that possibly be an issue for someone tearing up the dance floor? With all the flashing lights, strobe interference, and alcohol, I am not sure how the vanity of two small pieces of foam even enters the equation in the first place. For all I know, I think there are probably people on this forum who would run naked through town if it would rid them of their tinnitus...

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think if they made ear plugs a fashion statement then they might get used more ..maybe flash or light up in the dark and given out free with entry cost to a gig.

Teenagers just don't understand the damage loud music can do and never listen to adults.
      Love glynis

3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Interesting from the article you posted:

"...At these nights they sell Alpine Hearing ear plugs that are of sufficient quality so as not to worsen the sound experience, at a price of £10.99. However, they say anecdotally, the percentage of punters wearing ear plugs of their own accord is often in the single digits."...

The price of vanity....so not worth it. But I swear no one really hears the story until they hear the unstoppable.

When I listen to music via my bose headset I use something that absorbs the sound rather than mute or deflect the sound. I use rolled tightly cotton balls. I swear it works wonders.

But people always have negative things to say. Like they don't actually read I roll them up very tightly to avoid stray strands from being lodged in the ear canal and respond with their usual blah blah blah blah: I had a friend who had a stray strand stuck in their ear canal and had a life threatening infection......

Ear plugs could also be made of some sort of product similar to cotton balls. Actually absorbing the incoming noise into the ear rather than blocking it out. Also you do not have the noise of your voice or chewing food issues.

A campaign with "cool" or "popular" celebrities would be a good PSA.

• Like Like x 1