Allergies/Inflammation Causing Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kara77, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hi everyone!

I've posted a couple months ago when I thought my tinnitus was caused from Eustachian tube dysfunction. Turns out, the doctor seemed to feel it was allergies causing my symptoms. I've never had allergies... Or so I thought. Took an allergy test.... Turns out I'm highly allergic to the usual suspects (pollen, oak, mold, pet dander....) I've had ringing for almost 4 months now.

I pinpointed my ear ringing due to inflammation of my sinuses. When I take prednisone, it basically disappears (my terrible sinus pressure, post nasal drip, and the awful ringing!) But it's just a bandaid. I'm undergoing immunotherapy but I feel like my allergies are worse and the ringing too!

Anyone here have allergies causing their tinnitus? And if so, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for reading!

2. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Hey sorry what your going through. Hope it clears up.

Doctor I saw recently said mine was to do with allergies as well, I have swollen tonsills, blocked nose, infection and chronic sinsus. I am not holding my breath though because I have had tinnitus 13 months now and it's not shifted yet so not sure if mines to do with allergies or not get. He put me on steroids and antibioctics and nasal sprays.

One question though if it's to do with allergies for me or anyone how long can you have them triggering tinnitus? I'm sure in 13 months i would of known though my doctors in uk never checked my throat.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      To be honest I think I have always had slight allergies but literally when I turned 23 (Happy Birthday to me) I woke up with severe sinus pressure, blocked ears, swollen glands...) Apparently allergic rhinitis is most prominent in someone's early twenties. If yours is also caused by allergies, hopefully it will help. Was it predinsone? Do you have an ENT and have you taken an allergy test to see what your allergic to?

Don't give up hope yet!!!

4. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      I was diagnosed chronic rhinitis almost 9 yrs ago ,had camera down nose and throat ,also had XRays ,and finally skin allergy test last year ,only done the basic testing ,only 2 slightly raised ,not lot to go on from that test ,do you suffer from eczema etc ? As I do have done since a kid .
      Only thing I was given was 4 bottles of allergy nasal rinse I'm still looking for relief .
      Engineer on TT has put up a good thread on Eustachian tubes ,last week good read on what he's come up with .it came under What the heck check the neck .

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hi Marlene,

Nope, I've never suffered from eczema. Just read it! I don't think I have neck/back issues but it's definitely something to look into. Did you ever find relief from your chronic rhinitis?

• Like Like x 1
    6. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Sad to say Kara ,still have it as I type ,all but given up ,you name it I've tried it ,tablet and spray,only 1 I haven't and that's Sudafed ,can't take them as I've got high blood pressure ,Sudafed raises it .looked into Gluten ,wheat dairy ,to many to mention ,it's bit like the T roundabout ,I'm out here just muddling through every day with all this going on ,I get a lot of facial/ head pain with mine daily .2 friends of mine had there sinuses done ,both wish they now hadn't as it's far worse than before .so I would give that a thumbs down if that was offered up to me .
      Wish you luck Kara and Lisa .

7. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      i have eczema for 3 years now but this year i got Congestion with allergies my family has allergies and my dad always use a nasal spray my Ear right now is full and T its a little better my allergist said i have sever allergies and going in for skin testing question do your allergies get worst at night especially with the weather change here in California ( i live in the Inland empire ) the weather is changing and my congestion is bad at night in the morning i dont have any i had to take 4 sudafeds im hoping the allergies shot work for me i heard some people it don't help

8. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Yeah im on prednisone and strong nasal stuff. Hoping it clears up. Waiting to see ENT. I do suffer with blocked nose since birth.

9. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Kara, I know someone who had her T reduced significantly after few months of immunotherapy. From what I read your allergy will elevate when starting immunotherapy and then it will eventually lower after some time.
      Hope your T improve soon after the immunotherapy :)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hi Maria, my allergies don't get worse at night if I'm around the allergen my face swells! I haven't been home in a while due to my cats. :( unfortunately the OTC meds don't help at all! And I've been looking into a non dairy gluten free diet to see if helps the inflammation.

Hi Lisa, how long have to been on predinsone for? I've been looking into cortisone shots since they are longer lasting....

Hi Eddy, that sounds promising! Do you know if her ringing went away when she completed the therapy?

11. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013

I am on my third day. Was prescribed a week ago but couldnt take them while having my jaw Steriods. Have to be on these for 3 weeks.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Did you ringing go down when taking the predinsone?

13. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Nope :(

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I'm so sorry hun. :( keep busy... I notice that helps a lot!

15. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      did she had congestion when she did the allergy shots im worried what kind of affect this can have on me will i developed T ( the peppermint one ) because of my ear getting worst congested

16. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      At the end of the summer, congestion due to allergies made my tinnitus go through the roof. I didn't think I was going to make it at times. I hope now that you know you have allergies, that you've got it under control and things are better for you.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Yes it's nice to to know the root of the tinnitus. I do have a serious deviated septum which makes congestion get stuck I wonder if that is making the inflammation worse. I don't want to have to do surgery unless I have to. :/

18. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Hope you feel better soon Hun. :)

Antibiotics and those other tablets I mentioned above have helped with allergies. I feel less blocked up. Vitamin c is great I used to that a lot and help with T. Back on taking that every day now. Gingko apparently helps with ears someone I know her friend swears by them. Once everything is taken of my tablets im back to gingko biloba.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hi all,

Just wanted to do an update. Found out it really wasn't allergies causing my T, face pain, headaches.... it was actually my jaw! Makes sense though.... my jaw is disjointed which is causing major inflammation (which I suspected). My jaw started clicking 2 years ago after my wisdom teeth were pulled. The dentist fitted me with a splint that I have to wear 247 unless eating. Here's hoping it helps and the T diminishes for good!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Speaking about inflammation. Every time I ate the tinnitus and Hyperacusis went through the roof.
      I didnt put the two together until today. I have gastritis and a ulcer. Its been giving me grief.
      The condition got better so did the T/H. I went to see an oriental masseuse. Man my stomach and intestines were all wound up with discomfort and pain again. So it goes when ever I ate it wasnt good the belly ached and T/H went way up
      like never before. The anxiety caused by both was end game. Id take lorazapam and it didnt work. Diet and digestion are huge with T/H. It shows you how anxiety really works. I gotta eat broth and soup to get the digestive track back up.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Do I believe that allergies can effect T and H yes I do. Anything that taxes the system especially if it causes some anxiety which most aliments do the T and H have a good chance of raising. T and H is kinda like a vulture, it waits around till something goes wrong and it pounces.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kara77

Kara77 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      @ruben ruiz Yup, sure does! I'm on an all soft food diet and I gotta say the T is barely there and my jaw is thanking me. Even my allergies are down and my face isn't so swollen. If you can keep the inflammation down, you're golden!

23. LifesABeach
      Depressed

LifesABeach Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. Kate Wilson

Kate Wilson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was tested for cat allergies and the results were negative. Yet, it seems my tinnitus is worse in the house and that's where I have cats. Does anyone know if allergy testing is always accurate? I had two types of tests: a blood test and a skin prick test. Both times the results were negative.