Alternative Methods That Work?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ravendancer, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ravendancer
      Anime

ravendancer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think bad ear irrigation
      I have had tinnitus for about 1 1/2 years and have done all sorts of treatments in hopes of alleviating tinnitus.

Homeopathy, cranial sacral, acupuncture, massage, Brainwaves, hypnosis (through an app), Chinese herbs and some supplements.

None of which I can say have done much or anything. Has anyone else had this experience... good or bad?

I'm thinking that habituation seems to be the only way to go.

Just wondering if there is something else to try that has worked for others?

2. Shid0x

Shid0x Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High volume earbuds
      Well one thing i did notice is the fact that when i listen to a pure frequency that is around my tinnitus if i slowly tilt my head in various position i would find a "soft spot" where my left ear would just stop hearing the noise.

I found it extremely weird and talked about it with my osteopath, he did some work and it actually did a great job of lessening the intensity of it.

I'm seeing him again on monday to discuss the results and having him give me exercises to do at home.

My T was noise induced so it was quite a surprise to me that actually having physical manipulation would help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Forget homeopathy and cranio-sacral, you'd be better off with cognitive behavioral therapy, or mindfulness meditation.

Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation (ACRN) helped me. There's a do-it-yourself thread on here about how to create your own individualized ACRN audio files. You could also try audio notch therapy. Lots of good info at audionotch.com.

I also recommend the Back To Silence technique; again, there's a thread on this forum and it begins with a video of Terry explaining it. That one takes a long time, and it's really hard not to describe, monitor, measure or compare your T, but that's a critical part of the method.

Keep in mind ACRN and BTS are long-term treatments. It will take months and possibly up to a year or longer to get significant relief, but you may begin to see some benefit within a couple months if you faithfully follow the protocol.

Incidentally, cutting way back on carbs helped me, but I really love bread and kind of gave up on that. Some people find their tinnitus spikes with dairy, but it doesn't bother me at all. Bioflavonoids did help a bit, as well.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is that the same as lipoflavonoids?

Does that include fruits and vegetables, or are vegetables ok as long as they are not starchy vegetables like corn or potatoes?

5. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Good question. I think lipoflavonoids may be a branding name. The bioflavonoids I bought were Nature's Life, 1000mg, twice a day for a couple months, and then dropped down to once a day. I haven't taken them in a long time, but I believe they helped.

Not to be flippant, but depends on how much you eat of carb vegetables, I suppose. Simple carbs have a faster impact on blood sugar levels. There's a correlation between release of insulin used to handle the glucose and increased secretion of glutamate. I've read better explanations than the one on this website article, Glucose, but it kind of covers it well enough.

It might explain why we can get a spike from sugar or too much carbs, if there's excess glutamate being released that is over-exciting brain neurons. I'm no scientist or doctor, but that's my take on it.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Damn!!! One more thing to worry about...

Having said this, thank you very much for the link. I was not aware of this stuff... I will have to familiarize myself with this issue.