Alternative to Neomycin Ear Drops?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Agrajag364, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does anyone know whether there is an alternative antibiotic eardrop other than the neomycin based ones?

I know in theory the ototoxic antibiotic neomycin should not be able to damage one's ears unless the ear drum is perforated but I'm concerned at a few accounts of tinnitus beginning with the use of this drop.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Ciprofloxacin

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cipro gave me tinnitus. It is known to downregulate the gaba a receptors. I wouldn't touch that drug.

As an alternative to neomycin, you could try mullein garlic ear drops

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Greg

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Was that cipro drops or oral cipro which started your tinnitus Deb?

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think I asked you this before, and you answered that the Cipro that you had an issue with was via systemic intake (not topical drops). That is very different!

Not to discount your anecdotal evidence (that I don't question of course), but ciprofloxacin drops has been the topic of quite a few research studies (they are available on pubmed), especially on kids, and is currently a treatment of choice when you have perforated ear drums, specifically because of its safety relative to hearing.

I've personally used them, and so has my daughter (who has ear tubes: an "always open" path to the middle/inner ear), without any issues (but don't let my anecdotal evidence of 2 sway you: look at research done on hundreds/thousands of people).

Like anything, side effects are always possible, so it's important to read data about it before making decisions.