Alternatives to Ciprofloxacin

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by shan, May 6, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi Dr Nagler

My GP said there are traces of white blood cells in my urine sample and suspects that it is due to UTI even though I have no symptoms. I was prescribed 5 days of Ciprofloxacin and was told that there will not be any adverse effect to my tinnitus.

However, I read that one of the possible side effects of this antibiotic is tinnitus albeit rare. I also noted that you mentioned in response to another thread that the side effect should cease with the termination of the medication.

I am scared to risk it especially when it is just a suspected case of UTI. I would like to know if there are alternative drugs that are not ototoxic that I could suggest to my GP? Will there be any detrimental effect if I were not to pursue any treatment pertaining to the urine analysis results?

Thanks & Regards,
      Shan Shan

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Ciprofloxacin is not known to cause permanent auditory damage, and any increase in tinnitus due to the medication (however rare that might be) should be reversible upon termination of the drug, as you noted above.

You can drive yourself crazy if you try to run your life around what this or that might remotely and temporarily do to your tinnitus. Instead, as I have stated previously on the Doctors' Corner, I would try to avoid auditory damage ... and not worry about the rest.

As far as whether or not you should pursue any treatment at all for your suspected UTI, that is something best discussed with your GP.

Dr. Stephen Nagler