AM-101 Clinical Trial — Participants Updates and Discussion

Discussion in 'Research News' started by NewGuy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Elgringo32
      Depressed

Elgringo32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic traumatism
      When I look at the figures in the presentation, in overall, the placebo group shows better improvement that in AM101 group....LOL
      How can they continue this trial knowing that many people have been aggravated (and this seems to be AM101 related not the procedure) ?

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Anyone signing up for the next trial in Europe?

4. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      No one should do it....it does not work

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It seems it helps a small subset of people. My guess is the window of opportunity is very short also. In mice it was 2 days. Well no one from the trial got it before at least two to three weeks had passed and most people got it a month or two after onset.

I was wondering this the whole time I was in the trial, but I get the feeling tinnitus becomes centralized or chronic in a matter of days to weeks not months.

6. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Mine has felt like it does now pretty quickly, wouldn't be surprised if it was a couple of days too. Did you get any benefit or negative reaction?

7. Elgringo32
      Depressed

Elgringo32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic traumatism
      AM-101 may help people with Otitis media only (according to their figure it seems that it is the most significant) . For traumatic, in overall, it does not help and it is worse.
      For severe / extreme tinnitus group : does it include people from otitis media group which have severe/extreme T ?
      I have some doubt regarding this minor improvement (4 points more) compared to the placebo.

upload_2016-10-13_15-17-58.png upload_2016-10-13_15-30-49.png

8. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Honestly, I think that's still some great news that at least someone somewhere is working to help us.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      It's not for us but they are helping that special subgroup

10. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      They are trying to make a buck...

11. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      The positive thing is that it may allow Auris to find money to go on and create better treatments. If AM-101 is a total failure, I can only imagine it will compromise the company's short-term future.

12. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      AURIS MEDICAL, LISTEN WHAT I HAVE TO SAY

AM 101 CAN work if you administer it to patients within 24 - 72 hours after they notice tinnitus!! TEST THAT HYPOTHESIS!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      But then how would one explain the various cases where Tinnitus leaves in the course of a few months or even years?

I agree on the short window of time to act on activity in the inner ear, hence most currently available ear-targeted treatments are only effective during the first few hours to days (steroids, Vitamin ACE+Mg supplementation, perhaps AM-101 etc.). I'm holding out hope though that "hidden" hearing loss (or "synaptic" hearing loss) has something to do with Tinnitus generation. Liberman mentioned that the opportunity to reverse synaptic hearing loss might possibly have a window of "months to years". Perhaps an ear-treatment that targets these synapses (like neurotrophins or something else) might still be able to do something after the initial short time window has passed or where this treatment does not work.

14. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Would you participate in the trial @Vinnitus given that they are recruiting more people? Thinking about it, taking on board the negative experiences.

15. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No shit. I mean they spend millions in research and clinical trials and you're telling me they hope to recoup some of that investment? Somebody stop the press.

• Funny Funny x 2
    16. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      The normal cost of R&D for a new compound with the big pharma companies is often into the billions of dollars and normally over 10 years to get to the market... So yes, I agree Pharma companies are businesses just like all the others out there.. They exist for profit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And pharma can't fix your ears! Never gonna happen. Pharma is not a cure. If they ever found inhibiting something stopped T I guarantee the side effects would be so appalling you would never take the pill. So in the interest of our sanity please just abandon all hope in Pharma, you'll thank yourself later.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The last 2 response above me are true. Sorry to say it but the pharma is there to prevent your complaint, but cause more problems so you can come back for even more medicine. For example, I usually take Advil for headaches. I took the maximum dosage and here I am with T. So I'm over scrambling for a cure for this ringing all because of some stupid pills.

19. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pharma is probably our best bet for an efficacious Tinnitus treatment into the future :) The partnership with Allergen is an example of this.
      http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...inks-research-partnership-with-drugmaker.html

Please don't spread misinformation as people should have hope. Research in Otology is already starting to spread with "hearing loss" targeted as a hugely profitable and untapped market. This is all many years away, but there a reason to have hope.

PS. Not all drugs have a side effect profile that of Trobalt :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No chance. Need to fix the damage not mask the tinnitus with a drug. The body won't allow it. You can trick the body for a while but in it's never ending quest for homeostasis the drug has tolerance and side effects, you can trick it, You can but in the end you get tricked worse!

21. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not going to argue with you, but I don't think you understand how medications CAN work :) Pharmacology oneday will be able to fix the damage through gene therapy as regenerative medicines moves forward. An example is Otonomy's OTO-4xx project which is currently under development which aims to help the body restore afferent input to hair cells.

22. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, that would leave all of us hopeless then :(

23. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't feel hopeless. AM101 was always in development after onset of tinnitus. All research is important as we get closer :)

• Like Like x 1
    24. Leon909
      Ape-like

Leon909 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
    25. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It for treatment of tinnitus using compound modulating chloride co-transporter NKCC1 :)

26. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ge
      Gene therapy isn't Pharma. Yes gene therapy is our best chance, not Pharma :) I don't think you understand what Pharma is.

27. Codaz

Codaz Member

Lasik is far from safe. Yes there are wild stories about failure but also a lot has to be done in order to be super safe. Since 10 years the eye laser industry has opted for all sorts of techniques. All of them with pro's and cons.

I hope the ear doc's will make this tech leap. But a lot needs to be done first. Might be 30 yrs away.

I don't agree that "thousands" of studies are coming for T. Maybe in 200 years but not in the next 5.

28. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think you're just trolling now as gene therapy can be delivered via medicine (see CFG166 by Novartis) to help stimulate new growth of cells. Not to mention even Trobalt showed long term effects in some members here; perhaps reversing the Neuroplasticity changes of tinnitus onset.

Regardless please don't spread misinformation; especially when we have new members coming and going here regularly looking for some type of hope over this dreaded condition! I won't be continuing this futile discussion as the topic is clearly AM101 and pointless trolling does not benefit anybody.

29. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aw, thank you! that did make me feel better.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please don't spread misinformation. Pharma cant bring lasting relief, it has no chance, trobalt doesn't work it's being discontinued. Gene therapy isn't a pharmacuetical. Yes gene therapy could work I agree thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1