Am I Going to Be Deaf?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chilly, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Chilly

Chilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello
      This is my first post here

Im a 25 y/o
      It is almost a year now with pulsatile tinnitus
      I was wondering if it cause deafness?
      Or hear weakness?
      Or it depends onthe individual?
      There is nothing special about my symptoms they are like any other pulsatile tinnitus case

2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey Chilly, i think pulsatile Tinnitus doesnt involve hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
    3. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Hi Chilly, Tinnitus can somethimes be caused by hearing loss, BUT Tinnitus can be also caused by another health condition completely unrelated with hearing problems.

For a short answer, No, Tinnitus does not cause hearing loss. But yes, hearing loss can cause Tinnitus. Go with your audiologyst to take some hearing test and be sure everything is ok with your hearing capacity.

Regards,
      Johnny.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I know I'm losing my hearing. The excessive sound levels I am exposed to cause both ringing and hearing loss. I'm sure your type of tinnitus is different. Tinnitus is not a cause, it's a reaction or result.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AnonSki
      Doubtful

AnonSki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Chilly, I'm new to this forum too and around your age. Although I don't have pulsatile tinnitus, I do have some clicking in my ears from time to time (like a ticking time bomb). I understand your frustration. Do you have issues with your Eustachian Tube?

• Like Like x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Chilly,

I have pulsatile tinnitus, too, so I understand your concerns. Pulsatile tinnitus is not the same as tinnitus; it usually has a vascular cause. Causes of pulsatile tinnitus are many, including fistulas, thinning of the bone near the ear, etc.
      It might be a good idea for you to go to a doctor to be checked out, just to be sure you don't have a condition that needs further attention.

No, pulsatile tinnitus does not cause hearing loss. It is possible for you to have both pulsatile and regular tinnitus in the same ear, and regular tinnitus may be associated with hearing problems.

Have you been to a doctor, and have you had any tests to help determine a cause?

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chilly

Chilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @AnonSki
      I think your health problem differs from mine
      The doctor examined my ears . He said my ears are fin

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chilly

Chilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Karen
      I have seen ENT doctor and an Audiologist
      My ENT doctor examined my ears and he said my ears are fine . He gave me appointment for contrast MRI .. I did MRI but they forgot to inject me with the contrast medium..even though I tried to remind the nurse but she ignored me.(yes this is a bad healthcare case) and i should have insisted for the contrast but i was too nervous at that time.
      Anyway..I got the wrong type of MRI which made me lazy to complete my follow up with the doctor

My Audiologist examined my hearing and he said i have no hearing problems
      But I'm afraid tinnitus can cause hearing problems this is why i posted my question

• Like Like x 1
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Chilly,

I'm glad your hearing is fine; that's great news! No, I don't believe tinnitus can cause a hearing problem; it's usually the other way around.

So -- are you going to try going back to have an MRI with contrast this time?

I know what you mean about the tests; I wish my doctor had told me about an MRI along with MRA and MRV at the same time. An MRA is a way to screen the arteries, and an MRV is to screen the veins. If you could have all that done at the same time, you could get a more comprehensive level of testing.

Good luck, and I hope your doctor or testing facility handles it better the second time around (if you decide to go back).

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chilly

Chilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Karen
      I havent decided yet whether Im going to have MRI again or not.
      Thanks for the valuable information ..i'll keep them in mind :)

• Like Like x 1