Am I So Different Than All of You? I Only Have Loud Days...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luisa, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Luisa

Luisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It seems so many here have ups and downs and go thru good times with their T. Mine has for a solid many months kept me holed up inside my house. Its so loud, squealing and intrusive, it brings on nausea and now that the MRI has shown no brain tumors, the ENT doctors are cutting me loose..
      Am I so different from everyone that I dont have any quiet days? My thoughts are just that I am getting older, Im getting worn out from the sound night and day with so little sleep...
      I get accupuncture and take the doctors chinese herbs...hes the only one that offers HOPE> but...its not helping...anyone else have no quiet times?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I´m so sorry for you that you don´t have any quiet times, i never have complete quiet, but i do have days when t is low and i can put up with it!! i always know that it will be back to greet me with a louder day, so i just enjoy the quieter one when i get it. I don´t know what to say to make you feel better? you have had t for a very long time, i thought you would be used to it after all this time and not hear it hardly at all ( habituation ) why are you still suffering after all this time ?

3. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      My tinnitus is never completely silent..There are just good days where it is lower in volume..When it is low I feel like a different person..Always hoping it will stay that way..Last time it stayed low about 5 days. I have a bad cold now so it seems to have increased again.

4. Marie Blalock

Marie Blalock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      Hello Luisa,
      Yes, mine is the same way. I have been having a problem with one of my ears since July after an infection and the ct showed nothing. I have quit working as the tinnitus and other sounds are bothersome. Same with conversations. I'm depressed. It's a very long story that I won't go into here. I don't know what is wrong and the ents don't want to see me. If you want to email me address is Shadybrook@hushmail.com

5. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Could be that yours is simply louder. If my T was very loud, i would be very annoyed if people like me (who last night experienced almost complete silence for the first time since I got T 8 months ago) told you to just pull yourself together or whatever. Fact is, I don't know how yours is. Just a tiny imaginary spike is enough to make me sad and anxious, why should I judge people with super loud T?

The only thing I can say is that it IS possible to detach the sound from the bad emotions. But it's really hard.

My advice would be to download this app ( https://itunes.apple.com/sa/app/tinnitus-relief-by-helena/id579062950?mt=8 ) from the app-store and do the exercises. Helped me after one session.

6. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

Hi Luisa,
      I'm sorry you are having this experience.
      I'm new to this group but not so new to Tinnitus.
      In fact, I think I have had ringing/hissing etc in both ears for quite some time now and I just thought these were all normal sounds. Or rather, I thought that was what silence was/is!! How crazy is that!

I applaud you for getting an MRI. See, I can't take that step because I am beyond terrified of the findings.
      So instead I am living with the ringing and now the dizziness/imbalance feelings. This is what is more on my mind the dizziness and not the actual ringing.

I hope for you for some peace with this.
      All my best
      ajg

7. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. In the Internet specially, we don't see the intent or the mental state of the posters. You have to take things with a grain of salt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      After having been notified by the Report feature, I have now removed a couple of posts from this thread.

Please follow @frohike's great advice above.

Also, everyone should read our netiquette.

-Markku

9. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm so sorry if I caused any offence to Luisa or anyone else, I will be frank, I'm an alcoholic that thought I was coping with tinnitus, could sleep etc when I did drink, thought I was habituating. But I was wrong, my goal this year was to quit drinking, first evening sober in about 3 months tonight, I am close to a panic attack I am really, really depressed, typing this 1 am in england, coming to the realisation I can't sleep or even cope without drinking, I let my frustration unfairly on Luisa, please accept my apology for being so insensitive.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999

You are no different to anybody else who has battled tinnitus. I notice you have had it since 1990 which is roughly the same time I got it(well the 90's!). What I finally realised is that my tinnitus will never change so it was me that had to change. Fighting it was futile, stressing over it was futile and doing what I could to direct my focus elsewhere was my best option. My T is 24/7/365 and is ~14k. It sounds like a dentists drill and it is highly invasive. There are things that you can do such as using an mp3 player or some sound distraction to help you fall asleep. Using sound(music or whatever) during the day especially during quiet times takes the edge of it and helps you refocus. Keep your mind busy on things that stimulate you. When you do this you are unlikely to notice your tinnitus and if you do it shouldn't bother you. The mind can really only focus on one thing at a time. I don't have quiet times but I have times where I find peace regardless of my tinnitus. Remember it's all in the mind and that is where the battle is won or lost. Did I mention that I felt like a freak when I first got this but I found many others the same as me so that made me feel normal in spite of what I was going through.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luisa

Luisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks to a whole bunch of you for your responses...whatever has been deleted I didnt see...Ive coped quite nicely and raised a family for 20 years with T and just always brought a fan whereever I had to sleep...However...3 long months ago..I needed a double root canal and all HELL broke loose in my head. Squealing noise in right ear that has absolutely no down time. the left part of my head is running like a motor boat and there is just no answer for why it all has gotten so intense. I have to try to sleep with my head straight as blocking off the "white noise" for either ear and Im in crazy land. Im so glad there is all of you...but I talk to God alot and I say..."Ive been a really good person...a great doting mother, why did what was rough to live with get even worse? Now, when Im supposed to start travelling and having a life again for myself, did it grow in magnitude?/ I cant even imagine how the body produces such noise...but I know this, its just not compatible with normal life and for some reason, its still developing more sounds. So....we look for others who might experience the same thing..
      Marrku...Im a real nice person...The lady who asked me why I havent adjusted by now...I DID...for 20 years, and 2 root canals turned my life and T upside down. Very sorry for my "all caps" reaction...I will not do that again...It just didnt seem like she understood things could be worse than her experience.

12. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Luisa, I called your post depressing and shouldn't have done, sorry about that! I was in a really low mood yesterday.

I'm actually in the same position as you, had tinnitus for 14 months and was fine with it, then like yourself 3 months ago my tinnitus spiked from a car bonnet slamming shut, thought to myself it will only be a temporary increase, but it is still the new increased volume since October, used alcohol at night to sleep, did great over Christmas, but now I have stopped drinking it is bothering me greatly again, getting anxious again, I hope you can learn to habituate to the new level tinnitus Luisa, it's not nice when your tinnitus increases, hopefully we will get better this year. Your not alone, take care.

13. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Antibiotics, drilling noise, nerve damage, bone vibration, or a bad reaction to anaesthesia. Did it happen after the procedure or a few days after? did you have antibiotics? was the drilling loud?

14. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      that's exactly what happened to me - my tinnitus already was bad, or so I thought, until the dentist used the grinding tool to install 2 crowns - now I have tinnitus from hell. For the past 4 months my strategy, is to completely REST my hearing - so I go around almost ALL the time with bose qc15 headset on, for example in the supermarket the carts make clanging sounds, and overhead paging, etc., outside there is Harley Davidson, many cars and trucks with bad muffler, occasional sirens and backfires, at work the doors are very heavy steel type that make a huge slam when shutting, just like jail door cells would (I imagine), and the deep freeze compressor, etc. so I wear the head set all the time. for the past 4 months. Also, recently, one month ago started playing music, very very quietly, at night time, as well as CD of restful rain. I was very sure I was going to be in a pine box very soon. Fortunately, for me, either what I have been doing is working, or just time. I believe that what I have been doing has not been harmful, and I definitely noticed improvement in my tinnitus since starting to use "notched" type music at night. Plus I am on a real big bag of meds, but however my imovane use has gone from 2 tablets in September, to 1/2 tablet currently. I still take a lot of lyrica Seroquel and mirtazapine, without which I would be a total basket case.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luisa

Luisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes to all your questions frohike....however, the long time it took to diagnose which two teeth had the nerve damage caused to Tinnitus to spike. I found out afterwards that the antibiotic (z-pak?) is ototoxic. It seems so much is!...I believe the nerve damage from the teeth sparked the new resurgence. It appears I missed alot of posts...jeez, Im sorry to have been a catalyst to alot of people...thanks for your support

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luisa

Luisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I never read what you wrote as it was apparently deleted...This is a tough time for us all...I guess we are all entitled to say the wrong things...Just get well...stay well...and make this a Happy New Year...and I lived my first 22 years in England...Dont do the drinking...cant be good for your Tinnitus or body!...all the best

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luisa

Luisa Member

Tinnitus Since:

Golly..Im sorry...I hate to see young people resorting to so much medication. If possible, please go to a good health food store and look at all the products available in Homeopathic remedies for sleep and rest...Im so surprised that they actually do work...without all the side effects we worry about...give it a try...all the best

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luisa

Luisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks!! Im going to do that right now..thanks for the referral...

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luisa

Luisa Member

Tinnitus Since:

Take the step with the MRI..its really nothing...and I"ll be my house it will be normal results..and wont that make you feel better!....best of luck