Another Spike After Talking for Hours on Skype (No Headphones, Low Volume)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fally, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      So I've been talking to my friend on Skype for the last few hours. No headphones, volume down low.

She's going through a really rough time right now and needed someone to talk to.

Anyway we also just had a major storm and her power cut out.

Wasn't until the power cut out and Skype call ended that I realised my right ear has gone up in sound.

I don't know if I have just spiked myself or I'm just noticing it more because it's suddenly gone very quiet here or I am just panicking or there is an actual spike.

I am just so over this. It's like for the past month my ears have been spiking at almost everything and it's becoming harder and harder to deal with things.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Fally You appear to have sensitive ears. What is probably causing that is your neck and TMJ complex playing tag. I think it's about posture for you. This will place pressure on neck facet joints where then clenching of teeth happen. A sore jaw will then place more pressure on facet joints and this can be your problem. It's like your jaw and neck are in a competition. I won't go into the physiological reasons as this is discussed in thousands of articles, but I would consider this.

If you place a small pillow under neck at night where there's no air space, you might wake up in a soon coming morning with temporary less tinnitus.

A very thin flexible semi soft mouth guard made by a dentist. You can use this during part of the day as well. It will form a seal and you won't be able to feel it. Other people won't notice it. You will be able to talk perfectly normal. This type of guard is similar to the ones used for whitening teeth.

If you are bending over at the library to lift books, this can cause a spike, If so, try to lift less books at one time. Posture control is for both the neck and jaw. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      I always wake up with low tinnitius however i notice if i wake up and my neck hurts it does seem slightly aggravated. In the ear thats currently going crazy i noticed the pain in front of my ear which i think is the bone for the TMJ has been hurting today. Now im obviously clenching from the anxiety of it all and noticing it and unclenching. I did notice few days ago now you mention it that when i bent over it felt like it got worse and if i turn my neck to certain angles i can notice one of the tones in my ear gets louder. There is a muscle right behind my ear that if i touch it its so painful which my doctor says is due to the TMJ.

My ears do seem to be super sensitive and i have wondered if it is possibly the TMJ i still need to get it looked at. I use to be able to talk for hours to my friend on skype just like i did today with zero reaction and we would game for hours. Then all of a sudden its like BANG tinnitus got worse.

My therapist wants me to look into Pilates and Yoga to help with it all. I already know my posture is off and I have been sitting in an awkard position all day.

4. slc

slc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      When my hyperacusis and tinnitus were at the very worst, even two minutes of computer use would set off an incredibly catastrophic spike. I theorize it might involve vision and the computer screen setting off the sympathetic nervous system fight or flight response. Perhaps it’s trigeminal or optic nerve that somehow aggravate the nervous system and worsen the tinnitus.

This was my reaction for about a year. I have had tinnitus now for seven years and it ranges from moderate to severe depending upon the day. I don’t think computer use helps but it doesn’t have the same cataclysmic adverse affect it used to.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      I use my computer daily for long periods of time, maybe it does, not sure. All I know is everything is spiking my ears lately and its annoying. The spikes also never seem to go down.

• Hug Hug x 1