Another Symptom — A Burping Sensation Followed by a Spasm and a Thump Sound — Appears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andrei90, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud music (earphones)
      Starting not too long ago, I started to get a burping sensation that continues pretty much all day. It was worse at first but I still get many times a day.

I’m sure this is a unrelated condition but whenever this happens, both my ears will spasm and create a thump sound. It brings on what feels like a change in pressure. It’s extremely hard to avoid and I’m worried about causing further damage.

Has anybody experienced this or gone to a doctor about it? Both ears feel full again and crackling loud when I swallow.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does anybody have any opinion on this? I’ll clarify again because my first post seems to have been worded poorly. My mistake. Whenever I burp or yawn, the muscles connected to my ears will spasm hard and create a loud thump sound. Generally, I wouldn’t be concerned but it creates the sensation of pressure build-up along with ear fullness. I don’t know what to think about this. My T is still under control for now but my hearing seems to keep slipping away. Could I be causing further damage?

3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes, but no dr cares/knows that I’ve spoken to. Once you list a certain number of symptoms they kind of switch off and think you’re a hypochondriac. I gave up. The sensation for the most part went away. It was like my body wanted to get rid of the ear issues via hiccuping or burping
      As far as doctors think there’s no way a hiccup or burp can connect with the ears, but somehow it does and the sudden pressure change/thump made me feel like damage was being done, but not sure if it did. Don’t think so.

4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh yeah the thump sound is probably your middle ear bones. Look up tonic tensor tympani syndrome.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m sorry to hear that. It must be frustating not getting the answers you need. I can only hope my next appointment will be productive but I doubt it. You mentioned that it could be tonic tensor tympani syndrome. I believe I have this because I get the same fluttering symptom that many here complain about. Unfortunately, these new hard spasms are very uncomfortable and I don’t know what to do besides controlling my Acid Reflux. My only reassurance is that my T is under control now so this means that I’m not getting additional damage. At least that’s how I understand the mechanics described here so I hope it’s true. Do you remember how long you had the symptom for?

6. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good to know your T is under control. Don’t know how acid reflux fits in with it.

The hiccuping and burping going into my ears sensation was on and off during last year. During spikes mostly. I haven’t had it for a while.
      I still get a bit of fluttering in one ear in quiet environments when I put an object like a pen or glass down, or flip the light switch.
      Bigger thumps haven’t happened for a few months now, but they were very rare for me.

I think of it as the middle ear muscles connected to the little bones becoming oversensitised. Maybe they spasm and contract in order to protect your ears from loud noise damage, but are a bit dysfunctional. Kind of a psychosomatic thing. Could be wrong.

I don’t have any useful information that might be helpful for you. @DebInAustralia might as she said in another thread that she gets TTTS.

TTTS doesn’t worry me too much. But getting the odd split second moment of deafness in one ear kind of freaks me out. Not fleeting T - actual hearing disconnection. Not sure if it’s similar ie maybe the stapes contracting from the oval window momentarily?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/fluttering-ear-drum.11550

Maybe try magnesium. I have actually been taking anyway as it’s apparently good for nerves, but helps me sleep. Maybe it has helped me, as per this thread.

Also check out myclonus:
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

Middle ear myoclonus occurs in the muscles of the middle ear. These muscles may include the tensor tympani and stapedius muscles. It can involve the muscles surrounding the Eustachian tube, which include the tensor veli palatini, levator veli palatini, and salpingopharyngeus. Sufferers describe it as a thumping sound or sensation in the ear

• Like Like x 1
    8. ZZZK

ZZZK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
    9. icyweet

icyweet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      a week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      burping
      If you hear the fast fluttering sound only when you burp, yawn, or stretch, it is likely because of something small touching your eardrums. Even a tiny piece of hair, or a bit of earwax can cause that. When you burp, your muscles vibrates, and causing that piece of hair to vibrate thus touching your eardrum.

What you really need, is to buy an ear-wax cleaning solution, which costs about $12 from pharmacies. I had the same problem which lasted a few days. I used it once and it was gone the other day. You then keep using it according to the instructions in the case of earwax.

I know this thread was back in 2015, but in case someone arrives here looking for some information, I hope this can help.