Another Tinnitus Sufferer Joins the Forum...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Shark2k, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Shark2k
      Fine

Shark2k Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hello! I have suffered from what I considered mild to moderate T for years. The result of many 100's of concerts in my 20's and 30's, and my own musical adventures with the electric guitar since my teens.

While I found it somewhat bothersome at times, it wasn't invasive. It was always there, however, always... the proverbial "ringing" or crickets. Mostly the same tone, though sometimes higher pitched and/or louder....

I kind of knew I was doing damage, but never liked earplugs. As a real music junkie, I find earplugs mask too much of what I wanted to hear!

Sadly, the T has gotten considerably worse recently. It's louder, and harder to ignore. Of course this is right after attending another rather loud concert... oops! After living with the thing for so many years I assumed that it was as bad as it would get. I was wrong!

Been here less than 1 day and have read some inspiring things! I look forward to trying some of the solutions. Anyway, uh, just though I'd say hello.

Thanks
      Shark

2. STi

STi Member

WoW....Welcome to the forums..
      I Couldn't imagine going to a concert with my T without protection these days...I've avoided several concerts esp indoor ones...And I love Hard Rock! I will still listen to it somewhat loud in the house or in car..but not like I use too.

3. Welsh_Mitch

Welsh_Mitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Are you still going to concerts now Shark2K?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shark2k
      Fine

Shark2k Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Yes, I still play music, and go to some concerts from time to time. They are quite a bit fewer and far between than before.... I try to stay away from the speakers, usually, so as not to get blasted by the volume, but that recent loud event I was with friends, they had saved the seats, which were right under one of the PA speakers.... definitely not gonna do that again!

Anyway, working with the "40 year cure" as described by @I who love music in another thread. I am a firm believer that we can program our minds to more or less ignore the T, feeling good about the prospect of making progress in that direction.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Well you've got balls for sure - going to concerts with noise damage T and no ear protection is a receipt for (more) disaster...
      I am saving my hair cells for the day we have a proven T cure until then no loud sounds no bars no clubs even with ear protection.
      In 10 or 15 years when we have it I will go to concerts / clubs every week but until then I am looking at other non sound related fun activities like fishing, hardcore sex or gardening ...

• Like Like x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. Vincent777
      Supportive

Vincent777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced after a rock concert where I played
    7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Interesting - as for blocking higher frequencies DB, the Peltor x5a is rated at 40.3 db for 8khz while that one is only 37.6 so its a bit less and the x5a costs only 25 USD but okay its not "active" ..lets us know how the sound quality is with those active one.

I have one active Howard Leigh muff but the sound quality is really bad, like having serious hearing loss and distortion but yes you can hear what people say but its not natural at all and irritating after a while. Maybe the Peltor is better

How is your T and hearing these days ?

• Like Like x 1
    8. Vincent777
      Supportive

Vincent777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced after a rock concert where I played
      Hey @Bobby B :) If you were asking me, my tinnitus is still here, I've started noticing it again because it's been 2 months and 10 days so I thought it would go away by now but doctors told me that from their experience it doesn't go away if it's present after two months and I have to learn to live with it. I really feel down, I wrote today on my thread about my tinnitus issue, wouldn't be polite to hijack Shark2k thread by writing here. :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shark2k
      Fine

Shark2k Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Ha ha, yeah. Don't know if it is "balls" or rocks in my head. There have been a handful of specific shows over the years that I feel did particular damage- they were so f'cking loud. Majority of concerts I attend are not quite that intense, but sometimes I am caught off guard. The Tool show 2 months ago was one of those times. I am starting to work the BTS method into my daily routine, and I understand it will take time to start making any difference. Gotta start somewhere!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Rintintin
      Frantic

Rintintin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and head injury
      Shark,

Sorry to hear about your T. Bummer. I got mine from loud music as well. It may be time to lay off the concerts, bro. You don't want to destroy yourself. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is what I would do. Cheers.

Rintintin

• Like Like x 1
    11. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I agree with Rintintin. -- As much as I love going to concerts, it only took one 6 months ago that changed my life forever..

Its not the end of the world and I am cooping/sleeping okay, but I would sure like to get this monkey off my back..

Hang in there bud and don't make it worse..

• Like Like x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shark2k
      Fine

Shark2k Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      I hear you, guys, and thanks for the encouragement!

The reality is that I've been going to concerts since I was a young kid, and it isn't something that I will likely stop doing anytime soon. The number of concerts has gone down significantly in recent years, however. And it's really only the loudest of the loud that have had profound impact on my hearing. My takeaway from all of this? Protection! Particularly at the louder events. I've never used earplugs- tried them a few times but it ruined the experience for me. Moving forward, I will use them! It's about time.....

13. Rintintin
      Frantic

Rintintin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and head injury
      Sounds like a good plan.

• Agree Agree x 1