Antacid for Acid Reflux — Ototoxicity and Tinnitus Safety Profile?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Straw, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I have been rather sick after some food poisoning recently and my stomach has been producing a lot more acid than usual. I know some GERD medication can be ototoxic but does that extend to things like Tums? I know the main ingredient in that is calcium carbonate and I don’t think it can affect tinnitus. Anyone know different?

Does anyone know of any good antacid tablets that are over the counter?

2. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      Tums are totally safe and with PPIs it's a very tiny percentage

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I had gerd for several years and it resolved itself on its own. One big thing was to stop eating and then laying down.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      I used antacids without much of a difference, I frequently have acid reflux. For the past 4 day it's been daily actually and over the past year it's definitely worsened for me. I have it at least once a week, sometimes for a few hours.

5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @AVIYT -- You may want to seriously consider @JohnAdams' experience. -- I would think that some kind of Intermittent Fasting that works comfortably for you could go a long way in helping resolve your own acid reflux issues. My understanding is that--ironically--most cases of acid reflux result from the body not making enough HCL. So taking antacids that reduce HCL is not going to be a viable long-term solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Why do you say fasting is beneficial? Any studies on that?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22576248/

This study says for LPR it actually worsened symptoms.

I’ve had GERD for over a decade. Been stuck on PPI’s. I’ve lost 70+ pounds. I’ve tried vegan Ketogenic, and reducing inflammatory foods as far as dieting. I’ve tried apple cider vinegar, I sleep with an angled mattress pad that elevates my head. I don’t eat after 6pm. I don’t drink soda or coffee almost nothing but water, an occasional sweet tea or slushie and I’m talking like once a month or less and i can’t shake the need for 2 40mg Prilosec per day. I also don’t smoke anything period and don’t drink alcohol except wine a few times a year or less. When I try gradually reducing dosage within a few days I get globus sensation in my throat, bloating, post nasal drip and increased sinus fullness.

Admittedly, it’s hereditary on both sides of my family, but I don’t know what to do. I do worry about continuing to take PPI’s with tinnitus, but other antacids dont really do much for me even H2 agonists. And I seem to have more side effects from those than PPI’s honestly. Ranitidine gave me blurry vision and stomach cramps.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I've read a lot on this topic and have experimented with various kinds of fasting and partial fasting for many years. In short, I experienced a lot of the benefits I'd read to expect. -- I don't track studies on it, but I do seem to recall that caloric restriction has been proven to have anti-aging benefits. I would assume that would include some kind of intermittent fasting.

It sounds like you've definitely taken the initiative and tried many different things. However, I would encourage you to keep trying, but to maybe look at things you may have never considered. I've been literally forced by my own health circumstances to look outside conventional medicine, and done many things with great benefit that have little to no studies backing it.

Have you considered doing some self-acupuncture on some of the digestive areas you're having problems with? Or perhaps doing some kind of liver gallbladder cleanse? Do you drink any teas that might cleanse your liver area, such as milk thistle seed tea, or dandelion root tea? Or Poppy seed tea? Probiotics? Fermented foods? Or doing self-massage on your whole gut area. Wherever there's even a hint of pain or discomfort, it should be worked out (gently). Or reflexology, which can be quite powerful?

How about chiropractic? I've read so many stories of health issues that cleared up after getting needed structural adjustments. One man I read about had a long history of heart issues, as I recall with malfunctioning valves. He went to a chiropractor for other issues, and was asked if he had any problems with his heart, as the vertebrae right behind his heart were severely dislocated. Once he had the adjustment, his heart problems went away.

And then there's hot and cold packs, and castor oil packs, and, and, and... Sometimes a person has to look outside customary ways of approaching things before it's discovered what actually works well and for the long term. That was the case for me anyway. -- @GoatSheep, it sounds like you've really gone through the wringer on this whole acid reflux thing. Whichever approach you decide to take next (I assume you're continually strategizing), I hope you can finally get some good improvements for yourself!

• Informative Informative x 1