Antibiotics for Major Surgery for Ruptured Intestines and Kidney Stones Caused a Big Tinnitus Spike

Christian82

Author
Dec 24, 2014
Tinnitus Since
6/2014
Hello all,

I have had tinnitus for more than 6 years now and have endured 100+ spikes that always went down.

At the beginning of this year my intestines ruptured, and I had to undergo surgery.

After 3 weeks in the hospital, I could go home.

I had been home just for two days when I had to rush to another hospital because 3 kidney stones got stuck in my urinary tract. :(

Of course, I told the doctors in both hospitals to only give me non ototoxic medications.

In the first hospital I was given:

An antibiotic call Meropenem and painkillers Metamizole and Piritramide.

All the medications are not on any ototoxic medications list.

In the second hospital I was given:

They gave me one dose of Ceftriaxone during the operation.

After the operation I told them that Ceftriaxone is on the ototoxic medications list and that I do not want to take this medication.

So they gave me Unacid which I took many times before without any problems.

After I was done with Unacid, they told me that I should take Nitrofurantoin once a day until my next operation.

All medication that I was given except for that one dosage of Ceftriaxone were not on the ototoxic medications list.

3 days after they placed a urinary drainage, this was 2 weeks ago, I started to get a big tinnitus spike and it has not gone down. I am really starting to worry that all this medication that they pumped into my system damaged my ears.

I am especially worried since the spike started 2 days after the gave me one dosage of Ceftriaxone which is on the ototoxic medications list :(

Have any of you had a similar experience? What are my chances that this spike will go down?

Do you think this one dosage of Ceftriaxone might have damaged my ears?

I must go back for two more operations and I am scared to take even more meds in addition to the ones I need to currently take.

I am really grateful for your replies!

Best,
Christian

@Christian82

Ceftriaxone rarely causes tinnitus.
https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/ceftriaxone/hearing-loss/

Metamizole and Meropenem - slight risk.

Statistical analysis showed that hearing loss was dependent on treatment (c2 =23.741, p = < 0.001). Overall, statistical analysis showed that there is an increased risk of hearing loss when treated with amikacin and/or meropenem as compared to no treatment.

https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/macrobid/tinnitus/
What about IV Cefazolin?

Hello all,

I have had tinnitus for more than 6 years now and have endured 100+ spikes that always went down.

At the beginning of this year my intestines ruptured, and I had to undergo surgery.

After 3 weeks in the hospital, I could go home.

I had been home just for two days when I had to rush to another hospital because 3 kidney stones got stuck in my urinary tract. :(

Of course, I told the doctors in both hospitals to only give me non ototoxic medications.

In the first hospital I was given:

An antibiotic call Meropenem and painkillers Metamizole and Piritramide.

All the medications are not on any ototoxic medications list.

In the second hospital I was given:

They gave me one dose of Ceftriaxone during the operation.

After the operation I told them that Ceftriaxone is on the ototoxic medications list and that I do not want to take this medication.

So they gave me Unacid which I took many times before without any problems.

After I was done with Unacid, they told me that I should take Nitrofurantoin once a day until my next operation.

All medication that I was given except for that one dosage of Ceftriaxone were not on the ototoxic medications list.

3 days after they placed a urinary drainage, this was 2 weeks ago, I started to get a big tinnitus spike and it has not gone down. I am really starting to worry that all this medication that they pumped into my system damaged my ears.

I am especially worried since the spike started 2 days after the gave me one dosage of Ceftriaxone which is on the ototoxic medications list :(

Have any of you had a similar experience? What are my chances that this spike will go down?

Do you think this one dosage of Ceftriaxone might have damaged my ears?

I must go back for two more operations and I am scared to take even more meds in addition to the ones I need to currently take.

I am really grateful for your replies!

Best,
Christian
How are you doing? Has your situation improved?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now