Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. Nicola8478

Nicola8478 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      I think Sertraline has mine worse and now I’m petrified. Right back to where I was :(

2. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      This is super fascinating to me because as a youngin when I was 14 back in 2008 I was put on fluvoxamine for my tinnitus and it legit lowered the volume to a point where at times it was literally gone. But in saying that I dont doubt what this research says as Ive heard some really horrible stories of tinnitus ramping up, especially after SNRI use. I just wonder why it worked for me.

3. Mikael

Mikael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea
      What ever you do, do not take any pills.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      I'd never take any AD, they fuck you up big time when you try to quit 'em. Some people get a T 10 times worse when quitting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. GWW

GWW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have had severe tinnitus for 5 months and just went on Prozac 11 days ago. It's been such a roller coaster with my T and I'm now becoming paranoid that the Prozac is making the T worse? I'm so anxious from these last 5 months that I'm not sure if it's in my head. Could this just be me getting used to the med and if so could it level out in a couple weeks? I'd like to stay on it for the benefits of lifting some anxiety and depression but could switch to another AD if absolutely necessary....thanks for any input.

6. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      An article last year analyzing brain slices in rats indicated that serotonin worsens the burst firing in the DCN, the likely source of the tinnitus signal.

If you must continue to use the poisons that are antidepressants, I would advice using one that completely ignores serotonin and focuses on dopamine instead. The only one that comes to mind is bupropion, an NDRI. If it has to be antidepressants, amitriptyline is probably the only drug I've seen that actually treats tinnitus rather than the underlying depression, which should be ignored in favor of treating the tinnitus. A patient is better off with the problem being treating rather than an individual symptom.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Nebras5
      Batty

Nebras5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sertraline , clonazepam , zolpidem
      What to expect from antidepressants?
      I think we have to look for something that can help us to cope better with tinnitus than wasting time looking for cure , it’s really complicated thing and until that time they find cure we have to live our life as normal ppl

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Yes, antidepressants can take time to be effective in your system and yes, they can have more side effects early on. 11 days is really early.

9. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well if your attitude is "cope rather then search for cure" we will never have one.

10. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      That is exactly the attitude a tinnitus sufferer requires. Acceptance is important, and part of habituation. That does not mean a search for a cure can't coexist with this acceptance.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      If anyone is considering coming off psychiatric drugs I found this guide helpful: "Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs".

Please, see attached.

Attached Files:

12. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Hello, @Sven

So, how long did your spike last? You were able to return to the previous usual level ?! Did the antidepressant help you?

What caused the spike, stress, loud sound or something else?

13. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      What about escitalopram?
      Does someone have a successful experience of using it?

14. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I stopped taking it after 4 days. I didn't like the side effects. It also seemed to slightly elevate my tinnitus, but that may have been a placebo.

Those who stick with it like it, but I will always prefer anything that isn't an antidepressant

15. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Did it help you just with the mood?

Did it reduce even a little tinnitus itself?

Thank you

16. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Escitalopram(SSRI) can help with habituation, but also can destroy REM and NREM sleep cycles. After discontinuation you can get REM rebound that can continue one year.

17. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi. No, it's still higher than before, but I'm not very bothered by it most of the time. I can't say for sure it was the SSRI or not, I'm afraid. I'm just happy I don't feel like shit anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    18. mdtaffet

mdtaffet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      I've been taking Amitriptyline since the spring of 1993, when it was prescribed for Fibromyalgia. I didn't develop the constant tinnitus 24/7 until March of 2004, though my hearing loss predated that by quite a few years.

I've also been taking NSAIDs for many years, and pretty consistently since 1989 when I began a nasty bout with plantar fasciitis. The only time I didn't take NSAIDs was from two weeks before major back surgery in January 2012 for the next 2 years or so while my long spinal fusion progressed. Dropping the NSAIDs during those 2 years made no difference whatsoever for the tinnitus. I also had to drop the Amitriptyline briefly before and after the surgery, and that made no difference in the tinnitus either.

For the most part, I can ignore the tinnitus because I stay so busy doing other things. The only time it really bothers me is when the pitch of one of the sounds suddenly changes, when I'm trying to sleep but can't, or when my attention is called to it by reading or hearing a related item (such as right now on this forum).

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. Keremsv
      Balanced

Keremsv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 2016 / H 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise , acoustic trauma
      Has Anyone used Lustral ?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. Hdwrguy

Hdwrguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amitriptyline
      I went on Amitryptiline in Jan of 2017 to help heal my LSN (Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy) About a month later my left ear started to ring. The bad part was that the drug was healing my throat. Fast forward to today, about 18 months later and my throat is so much better. I just recently quit the Amitryptiline and am hoping that after said amount of time, it will be normal again.

21. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm off Sertraline now since about two weeks. I never had a large dose, but took 50 mg for about 4.5 months. Three weeks ago I cut it to 25 and now to zero. I feel heavy headed and have trouble sleeping, but I hope it will pass. Tinnitus not worse, but the heavy feeling in my head makes the tinnitus "feel" weird as well. Hard to explain... sort of like the head's dizzy while I'm not.

22. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      ...actually, today I AM experiencing my T as louder. I don't know if it's because I'm trying to kick the meds or if it's the lack of sleep that's making me tired and thus causing the T to appear louder. Or, maybe sertraline actually has an effect on my T (and/or general wellbeing).

23. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I just started Valdoxan a few weeks ago. It's quite good :)

24. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I have had to take antidepressants for a long time. More than a year.

I tried to stop taking them, but then I started to have a strong concern about the noise, and it becomes very intrusive.

So far I have to take SSRIs.

It helps me to get distracted from tinnitus and not to despair.

Because I did not accept tinnitus. It should not have happened to me.

The day when tinnitus disappears will be the second birth for all of us.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Klaudijus

Klaudijus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in the ear
      You can go crazy reading all these comments, one needs to sleep another is afraid of side effects.
      So did you guys found out what antidepressant is best for Tinnitus? Maybe make a top 10 or something?
      1)
      2)

26. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      Mirtazapine and Amitriptyline are generally thought to be the safest for T.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      What was your experience like going on and off SSRIs for tinnitus?

28. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It helped me get over my anxiety, but it was a little annoying trying to quit because of a "heavy" sensation in the head. However, I gradually lowered the dose and now I'm off it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    29. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Fantastic! And it has no effect on your tinnitus coming on or off?

30. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      No, but it got me through the worst part, eventually. The noise is still the same though, I'm afraid.