Anxiety and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Larry OT, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      While I am having a quiet day (as my tinnitus cycles from very quiet to 11/10) I have been hit so hard by the anxiety during the past 6 months that even the quiet days can be filled with great anxiety.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Are you sleeping well? No one can cope with tinnitus unless they are able to sleep. That's the first thing you must do. I take melatonin, sustained release, nightly. The dosages vary from 1 mg to 5 mg. In general, you want to start low and increase as needed.

I understand that your mood fluctuates with your tinnitus level. That is normal. Have you considered going for the AM 101 clinical trial? There's lots of information on the site about it. You are still very early into tinnitus and that gives you the greatest opportunity for AM 101 to work.

Whatever you decide, please know that tinnitus does get better for nearly everyone with the passage of time. The brain just gets used to the noise and this enables you to focus on the sound less. For most people, even if they do nothing, they will be much better off a year or a year-and-a-half after developing tinnitus. To help you get better sooner, however, you might also try the following:

1. Keep background noises on as much as possible. Don't sit in silence and listen to your tinnitus. That will make you very depressed. Keep background noises on while you sleep too. Most people find that water sounds will blend in with their tinnitus, making it less noticeable.

2. If you are depressed or anxious, talk to your doctor. It's normal to be emotionally wrecked by tinnitus. But often if your physician is able to improve your mood, you will feel better about your tinnitus. And, if you feel better, it will help you habituate sooner.

3. Don't focus on your wife not being supportive. You can't control this. Instead, spend some time here and talk with people who are supportive. Perhaps, in time she will become supportive.

4. Keep busy with activities you used to enjoy. You will learn to enjoy them again!

5. Remember, you will get better no matter what!

6. When you are loud, remember you will be low again. That should be a happy thought! :)
      Go through this site for more advice. There's lots of good information here. I know you'll be fine. We've all suffered and understand how you feel.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Thank you jazz. I appreciate your post and caring.

Peace,
      Larry