Anxiety to... Everyday Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Snake, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      Hi,

i have a strange problem about Hyperacusis and Tinnitus. I feel so scared when it comes to live... a normal life.

My problem is that i know that i shouldn't wear earplugs all the time because it can develop worse Hyperacusis than i already have (mostly to high pitched sounds, low and mid range frequencies are somewhat fine) but i don't know where is that noise level when you have to wear them. I try not to use them when i walk through the city or when i'm in a car, or at the doctor etc.

I try to only use them during the school breaks or when i'm taking a tram (there are mostly only noisy ones from '80 and '90 in my city)

But i feel so scared when i get home, because "What if sound X was too loud and maybe my Tinnitus now is worse than before?", "What if it affect/affected my Tinnitus?" "What have i done maybe i should wore earplugs back then?". That everyday anxiety and stress really, DESTROYS ME. I can't focus at anything creative, because when i have to think on something i immediately think about Tinnitus. Because that anxiety T naturally gets worse by itself, we all know that. And then i starting to hear something new and anxiety level goes up even higher.

Example from today, i was at the hospital clinic for 4 hours with and without earplugs (i changed them several times) because i CAN'T tell if i have to wear them at the moment or no when there's no high pitched sounds around me that easily annoys me. I think that i hear low and mid range frequencies like anyone else, but i have high anxiety and fear that i can get my Tinnitus worse by one stupid mistake.

Today also one man shut the door near me (that was pretty loud, everyone was annoyed by that) and i didn't heared any loud high pitched sound or something similar like in acoustic traumas when it happend, but right now i'm scared and checking my ears for some Tinnitus change.

After that i was also in the hospital registration with dozens of people and there was somewhat loud out there. I also wore earplugs after a few minutes because i wasn't sure if that loud level was safe or not.

I can't remember my Tinnitus from yesterday, 2 days ago etc. becuase it's dynamic so i can't compare it.

How to stop that vicious circle and start... a normal life?

@Michael Leigh Sorry for disturbing you, but i know that you have experience in that field and you could help me with it.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Snake

Please read my post: Hypercusis, As I see it. it is in my "started threads" Because of the stress, anxiety that I feel you have about hyperacusis and tinnitus, I feel that you will benefit from being referred to Hearing Threapist or Audiologist for treatment and management of tinnitus and hyperacusis. I also feel that you need counselling with it which they will provide. Try and get referred sooner rather than later to prevent these symptoms getting worse. Have a word with your GP about getting a referal. I also think something to relax you and make you feel less stress will help.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The bad thing is that there is no any good audiologist out there in my city that i can 100% trust when it comes to Tinnitus and Hyperacusis. I searched deeply and really, there is no one out there.

Every of them don't know how to deal with "special" cases when there is no only Tinnitus caused by firecracker and big hearing loss, but Tinnitus caused by probably hidden hearing loss (but no one can confirm that, it's only a hypothesis) or some unknown autoimmune disease (i have two diagnosed autoimmune diseases already) and Hyperacusis have to be taken into account as well. My Tinnitus have some base sound but it's dynamic and can change in any moment (and it often does things like instant high pitch sound for a minute for two etc. I only found out that it can be related to body position but it's not the rule because it can occur without any reason too)

I really tried because i need someone to take care of me. But i can't find that one, competent doctor.

About Hearing Therapist, i heared about this profession only on english-based internet and i can't find anything on polish internet about that :C

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Snake

I can only suggest having a word with your GP and try to seen any type of counsellor just to talk about your issues to get it off your chest.
      Please also read some of the documents on my "started threads" that might be helpful: there are many

That's all I can help you with I'm afraid.
      Best of luck and let me know how things are going.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sadly in Poland there is a big problem about Tinnitus and Hyperacusis. GP's (also mine, they say only "Try to live with it". They can't even say any good word as a man, only cold "We can do nothing about it" and "Next [patient]"), laryngologists, audiologists don't know how to treat a Tinnitus sufferer.

At this moment i don't have anyone to help me with it except for TinnitusTalk, even family don't know how i feel and what to do :<

It's sad when you are alone and don't have anyone close to help you :bawling:

And i'm still worried about that door that shut nearby me today...

I will read your threads later but it's hard for me to read about Tinnitus, i just wan't to forget about it.

Thanks for your reply.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear that snake. All I can suggest is read my posts on my "started threads" Read Positivity and tinnitus. There are many people at tinnitus talk that can offer help.
      Take care
      Michael.

7. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Feel your pain, brother. Currently in a really bad state with stress and tinnitus and noise in head (unsure if real or imagined) and it is so isolating

8. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had the same feeling even though I have T not that long as you. If a normal sound irritates you then you might have H. I got rid of it by opening my window at night. Before I did this even a passing car in the street could irritate my ears, made me stress out and eventually I got a new sound in my ears when I was to close to a printing machine for an hour. Then after opening the window my H disappeared after 4 weeks or so. Now the only loud noises that I evade are headphones, bars, vacuum cleaners, dryers, hairdryers, playing music when I'm driving etc. These sounds don't bother my ears though but I feel comfortable just avoiding (long exposure to) these sounds.

Keep in mind that damage is decided by the decibels of the noise, the duration of that noise and the distance to you. One slamming door normally can't damage your ears even if you have T.

9. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello @Snake I have the same fear...

Because with the loud noise that comes from cars, bus, motorbikes and scooters... And the worst is when they lack oil for the breaks !!! Fuck this is killing my ears ! :(