Any Alternatives to Xanax?

Discussion in 'Support' started by led1317, May 9, 2017.

1. led1317
      Curious

led1317 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impact to ear
      When my T first arose I was very down, stressed and depressed. My doc prescribed me Prozac to deal with some of the emotional side effects and my mental state has improved over the past 2.5 weeks.

However, the doc also gave a few me Xanax for acute anxiety attacks. The Xanax has worked wonders and really helps me forget about my T, even if I do hear it it does not bother me.

My concern is that I am going to be dependent on Xanax and am looking for a safer alternative. Any suggestions???

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      led1317
      Curious

led1317 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impact to ear
      Sorry for bad grammar and punctuation ^ :banghead:

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could alternate Xanax with Ativan. I guess doing something like that might double the time before you get addicted. I took Ativan during the first month of T onset, when it was loud and back when I felt very emotional after becoming aware of T. Then I switched to large doses of valerian root. I take 5 pills half an hour before bed, and also (every three hours) I drink tea freshly made from dry valerian root. This keeps me relatively calm. You could also try GABA supplements (search this site) - that also seems to act as a mild sedative.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I didn't notice, but it is too bad that this forum gives one only limited time to edit one's post.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @led1317 all of the benzo drugs have more or less the same risks attached: in the short term, rebound anxiety and then in the longer term tolerance leading to dependence and eventually withdrawal. (Even if you stay at the same dose for a long time and don't reduce it, you can experience withdrawal effects because your tolerance to the drug exceeds its effect).

How long this takes, and how severe the effects are, vary wildly. Some people seem to be able to take these drugs on some kind of regular basis for periods of time with little consequence; other people develop serious problems relatively quickly. People who are in general anxious or high-strung, anecdotally, seem to have a harder time with benzos. Lots of people who didn't have tinnitus to start with actually develop it as a result of benzo use or withdrawal -- sometimes this is temporary, other times not.

So, it's all a big crapshoot. Unfortunately, anything which acts in the way benzos do (calming the brain by increasing the action of the GABA neurotransmitter), has these same basic problems. (Other chemicals which are similar in this way include barbiturates, alcohol, z-drugs like Ambien, and a bunch of more obscure things like chloral hydrate).

There are all kinds of lifestyle modifications that have been shown clinically to improve GABA function -- talking about things like meditation, yoga, regular exercise, good sleep hygiene, etc. Unfortunately, while some people find these things quite effective for improving quality of life, none of them work nearly as rapidly or strongly as popping a Xanax. On the other hand, these things also do not have the downsides attached to them.

Something that has worked for me over the years is to think of a (very small) stash of benzos as an "emergency button"; simply knowing that one does have an option to immediately reduce intolerable anxiety, can have a beneficial effect in that you're able to feel less "trapped" by the anxiety, and are more able to "think your way out of it". This requires knowing yourself pretty well, though, and also requires not actually taking the drug on any kind of regular basis at all. (Because of my own history with benzos, I am not comfortable taking them more than once a month, and would prefer to take them once a year if ever).

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. John B.
      Tired

John B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I was prescribed xanax for anxiety as well (April 2017). I quickly got off them because I was concerned about addiction / dependence on any drug. Toward the end I was taking small doses at a time .25omg (.5mg split in half). I went about 7 weeks without one, and took another .25mg as I was having trouble sleeping.

I think if you can limit to the occasional use you should be fine. In the meantime I would really look into meditation or therapy as a means to deal with anxiety naturally. I've been using a meditation app called Headspace for the last 10 days and I'm seeing some benefit. My anxiety died down after a month or so - I still get it occasionally. If you're really in a bad spot take the xanax, but try other means to deal with it as you go along.

7. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      I started Zoloft when I was pregnant. It only takes the edge off of T but helps me cope. I have panic disorder and unfortunately the T sends me into a horrible downward spiral and with a one year old i need to be able to focus. So, I went the medication route. It sucks but it's helping me be able to focus on my son and not cry every hour. I took clonazepam for a long time and had to get off during pregnancy, it was a nightmare.

• Hug Hug x 2