Any Floridians with Tinnitus Here? Considering Moving There — Worried About Storms and Lightning

Discussion in 'Support' started by JackSparrow, Aug 29, 2022.

1. JackSparrow

JackSparrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      multifactorial
      I want to move to Florida so ****ing bad. I have family there, I love the rain, sunshine, wildlife, beaches, rocket launches, etc. The ONE thing that worries me is the lightning. 120 dB doesn't sound very tinnitus friendly, but I'm tempted on moving anyways because I'm so sick of this stupid condition from holding me back in life, and I need a change.

Are there any Floridians on Tinnitus Talk? How likely is the lightning to strike nearby? Is there usually much warning before a storm comes (giving me time to get inside, etc...)?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I live in Florida with pain hyperacusis. I use a good radar app so I usually get plenty of notice and then protect up if a loud storm comes overhead. I sleep without ear protection to give my ears a rest so a storm in the middle of the night can be an issue.

All in all it's manageable, for me anyhow, but we are all different. Thunderstorms down here are a different animal and more frequent but no more an issue than traffic noise.

George

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I say go for it if it's what you want. We let this condition hold us back all too often. Also it's the thunder you're nervous about. Lightning is just the warning ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Amen brother.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JackSparrow

JackSparrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      multifactorial
      Sounds good. I'll definitely make sure to have a good app installed. Thanks!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JackSparrow

JackSparrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      multifactorial
      Very true, we try to limit dangers to protect our quality of life, but ironically reduce our quality of life in doing so.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      If you’re not really reactive or don’t have pain hyperacusis, I say go for it! I’ve lived here all my life. It’s great. The thunderstorms are messing me up lately but my pain hyperacusis is just a catastrophic case. Like somebody else said, use a good radar app and check the weather so there’s no surprise lightning. Be indoors if it’s getting dark out and throw on some earmuffs and you should be good to go.