Any Musicians Still Active Playing Music?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kerry H, Mar 17, 2014.

?

Have you continued playing music after the onset of tinnitus?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
    1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      it did go bak down but my t volume seems to be bit higher .
      I didn't wear ear plugs .as a musiciam lovers mentioned ,he was wearing ear plugs and still had "mega T" for two years .
      I know music is a big thing to give up for you ,but if I were you ..even if there is 5% of getting spike - I wouldn't take a chance . Life is still beautiful ..you can enjoy your daily routine .to have fun for 2-3 hours in a week .why mess up your daily life day in and day out.
      Again ,just my opinion .it is just my personal opinion .i don't want you to suffer like I did..don't even want my enemies to suffer as much -:)

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Lisa88's description of fading sensitivity is mostly true for me. But since my MEGA T spike some ten years ago I'm still left with a small degree of sensitivity. Since that fateful night when I was wearing earplugs PLUS cordless 'headphones' for protection, my T has approximately doubled in volume, but nothing like the horrible spike that lasted 2 years. I had been testing the 'waters' so to speak at these jam sessions, wearing different kinds of earplugs but still noticing extreme ringing. And I KNEW better. Then one night the guys just got real loud and it only took a short time to screw me up for life. Tinnitus is a condition I had since I was about 14. I grew up in a musical house, band class, marching band, rock bands, bars, dance halls, a few big stages too. I always had the ringing. But I found my limit unfortunately. And since I'm not famous and don't play music for a living, I ditched the amps. Though I did love the sound of a Strat into slaved amps. Damn.

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Kerry, what I was trying to say (I ramble) is that I was carefully using state of the art ear protection. Even encouraged by others, "C'mon you'll be ok with earplugs. Get some of those earplugs for loud music. etc...." Then one night... POW. My ears said, "Enough."
      Like putting my finger in a fire, I guess I thought I'd be wise enough to pull out if it got too hot. I found out T dosen't work that way. Not my T. The fire got me. And I think a lot of musicians think it'll "Settle back down." Mine always did, but the baseline was just a little higher each time. That was my warning. I didn't heed the warning.
      So nowadays I play acoustically. I mean as in acoustic - unplugged. I canNOT tolerate amplified music at all.
      I'm rambling again.
      My big spike was hell. I was scared to go to a doctor for fear of what he'd tell me.
      Anyway, I read a lot here about T going back down, etc...
      What I've been living with since 1974 is the knowledge that my tinnitus is cumulative. Yes, it may subside some, but with a little loud music, it comes right back where it left off and increases from there. To me, this is not worth a hundred bucks at a gig, or jamming at a party, or whatever the occasion. Now if music was my job and I was famous, I'd have a lot to lose so I'd spend a bunch of money on the best doctors and medicine and keep going.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kerry H
      Balanced

Kerry H Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Sean - I appreciate you're advice, honestly. But I also don't want to live in fear of the unknown and let that keep me from doing something I love. I think it's going to take baby steps for me, with perfectly fitted ear plugs. Maybe I wont start playing live, but going to shows and standing in the back. I'll just have to judge my comfort level I think and not be afraid to know when it's time to call it quits if it's too much.

Life is beautiful and there are so many things besides music to be grateful for and enjoy. I just don't want fear to guide my choices. However, I will be making smart decisions to keep it as safe as I can.

@I who love music - Your MEGA T sounds horrendous, and I'm really sorry to hear that you had to go through that. I'm sure that was miserable. Maybe playing acoustic for now would be a good step in the right direction and I can judge how I'm feeling from there. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I had to totally stop playing music for a few years after that incident. Then I worked fingerpicked guitar and nylon strung instruments back into my life. I found that they do a nice job of masking.

• Like Like x 1
    6. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hey @Kerry H , musician here too with T for around a year now.

I used to play garage rock with or without earplugs... i really miss plugging my gibson in a nice tube fender amp, with this little beast of BigMuff in between ! :) I really enjoyed playing this fender amp around 5 out of 12 of master volume... Volume really means something when playing tube amps, all the overtones... the nice beefy growl of humbucker pickups or the shimmering treble of a telecaster, awesome !

Well i've recently focused more on acoustic music as i also own a very nice Martin OM28 acoustic guitar which brings me a lot of joy each day. I think i've been more productive since T onset, i've even made a 40min LP that i give to family and friends. My mom plays it every day and this kicks tinnitus arse !!!

Can we hear some of your music Kerry ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kerry H
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @James White - haha my mom's the same way. I play mainly acoustic too since I live in an apartment and don't have a space to jam currently. It seems like that should probably be my route for now. Do you ever play acoustic live though?

I'm wondering (ear protection wise) if playing live acoustically is any different then playing full band would be.

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I just got those erasers earplugs they seem really good and on there website there commin out with earasers extreme protection soon so it will prob be like a 25- 33 db reduction. The 19 ones i think are good for loud bars and restaurants and they say on there site that there the closest to custom earplugs out there and there real invisible too. These with some ear defenders would be good to jam softly too.

9. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      I produce mellow-ish electronic music, which has turned out to be a blessing since I can completely control the overall volume. I took a 6 month or so break after getting T. I eased back into it, and eventually discovered that I wasn't having as much reactive T as I was initially.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kerry H
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @generalfuzz - I'm kind of in the same boat. When I first got T, playing guitar was tough because my T was so reactive. It would just get louder whenever I played. Now it's less so, and the guitar seems to drown out the sound which is nice :)

• Like Like x 2
    11. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      My cousin is a professional musician. He got T and H and he had to take a break from music, but he overcame both and he's back playing now. There's definetly hope! :)

• Like Like x 4
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kerry H
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Sound Wave - Thank you, that's great to hear. Especially after T and H!

13. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Indeed. For him H was the beast and it caused him a lot of stress. As I said, he took a break from his music studies and playing and went to work in a farm. I think that was a brilliant choice for him, which he said himself as well. Honest simple physical labor, which relieved a lot of tensions etc in his shoulders and neck etc. This could have maybe played a role in his getting better, because as we know, T is very much linked to somatosensory system in our body.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I still produce and play live. EDM, so I have good control of levels (as opposed to a band or a drummer). I use Etymotic 25 (NRR 23) and a pair of 100% filled custom made silicone plugs, i.e. 0% hollow.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I really miss drums... :-/ i hope one day we can all play with no worrying about ringing

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. baddream
      Depressed

baddream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I play in a extreme metal band and play drums, electric guitar on my own with loud amps. i wear -20db custom musician plugs when drumming, but the right one feels a bit too big and doesnt fit properly.. i should get it re adjusted soon.. I mean is it really bad/rare that someone with T continues to play drums? its my passion.. I don't know how much more damage I'm doing.
      i have mild to severe tinnitus..but right now im just saying fuck it and trying to protect myself and 'keep truckin' :/

maybe 5 years down the road i'll be deaf, who knows.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Good for you.. Im not there yet.. I have real mild T too and even since gettin T from not wearing ear plugs while playin i still am too scared to play. Im sure id be fine cause id wear plugs plus defenders but im kinda testing my T alil prob couple months ill start playin again but real cautiously. And look at lars ulrich from metalica he has T bad and still jams away... Same with the slipknot drummer... I doubt youl be deaf in 5 years.. Good chance your T could get worse cause metal is real loud but you should start wearing two types of protection when playin just to be more careful. Im thinkin of gettin a roland cause i can adjust the sound on them, plus im not in a band.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I am a full time musician who plays about 1-4 gigs a week and teaches and produces on top of that. Though I give my ears more rest time and always wear plugs (ER-25) or foam NRR-33 db, I still wont let this shit stop me. Al Dimiola, one of the best guitarists (especially) technique wise put it well: "When I was eight years old (after he had already had tinnitus)I made a decision I was going to do this for the rest of my life". I'm not a big fan of his but he's ridiculously amazing especially technique wise.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have very mild tinnitus and always wear double protection at practice.

I have definitely become a "volume-nazi" as my bandmates have put it, but they totally understand my affliction and it has become a term of endearment.

I play in a three piece band with myself on bass, a guitarist, and a drummer. The drummer is not heavy handed AT ALL which is a blessing to everyone involved. The guitar player is infatuated with two handed tapping/open tuning/crystal-clear guitar tone, so he is not too loud. I myself like a very warm bass tone which not only compliments the guitarist, but does not aggravate the tinnitus.

This band is fantastic music-wise and having them understand to keep it reigned in with volume is amazing!

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. Vincent777
      Supportive

Vincent777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced after a rock concert where I played
      volume-nazi haha, that's me if I'm ever get back to playing! What do you mean by double protection? Ear muffs and earplugs?

I was thinking doing that as well as standing behind the guitar amp and avoiding being directly exposed to the wave or vibration of the sound as much as it is possible. ( Like not staying in front or underneath the monitors in the studio)

21. Vincent777
      Supportive

Vincent777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced after a rock concert where I played
      I like your determination. Which earplugs do you find the best in your experience?

22. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      You really can achieve so much more with music if you don't allow volume to be your god.

23. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You are totally right, let me phrase what I said a little differently and add some context.

I play a lot of house shows and basement shows in my local DIY scene. My local scene consists of mainly "Hardcore". These are the types of bands that think it is totally acceptable to use half stacks and even full stacks at a basement show. The last show I played was in the basement of a local record shop the band right after us consisted of two guitar players and a bassist. The bassist wheels out a eight by ten cabinet and one thousand watt header; while both guitarists had full stacks with one hundred watt headers. Of course they proceeded to crank everything up and it was just a sonic mess. Most of the bands in my area do this type of thing.

The guys I have found understand dynamics and the fact that if your quiet parts are quieter, your loud parts are louder.

Does that make anymore sense?

24. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      For loud stuff foam / and muffs. But custom moulded can get you by with er25 filters or made solid. I have given up performing for the time being but earn my living teaching privately at LOW low volumes. Be careful.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Ferret

Ferret Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Ironically, I've had a huge surge in creativity since getting T and I've been making more music now than I have in years. I'm OCD about the hearing protection, of course. But I'm currently working on a neofolk/rock solo project, playing bass in a melodic black metal band, and improv-jamming some stoner rock with a couple of close friends.

I even was inspired by my T to record this. I dunno what I would call it, "dronegaze?" haha

Enjoy! :D

• Like Like x 1