Any Queer LGBTQ Folks Experiencing Tinnitus? ❤️

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris Fraser, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Chris Fraser

Chris Fraser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a Virus
      Hey!

My name is Chris. I’m a queer, non binary artist from Vancouver BC. Seven months ago, I was hit with SSHL in my left ear and it took all but 20 percent of my hearing, replacing it with a jet engine sound.

Just out of curiosity, are there any LGBTQ facing the same obstacles as me? I once was a world traveller and took time to find my silence...but now, I’m faced with more challenges to find silence again.

-chris

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Why does it matter who's queer?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      To be fair, there are a couple corners for Christians, autists, and musicians, so why not let queer people have their own as well? This condition is troublesome and people feel comfortable expressing their problems with like minded individuals.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am a Carpenter and Joiner, Audiophile too and would like my own space to chat with like minded people. I wish we could just stick to Tinnitus, keep things plain and simple but I suppose that's too easy.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Sorry @Chris Fraser, I am not a lgbt person and I think we should just let this thread exist and not devolve any more into a debate about its existence.

As Pope of MPP I am calling for this thread to be only for lgbt people discussing their tinnitus so any further posts in here should be for them only.

• Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    7. Ctw
      Tired

Ctw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Chris. Chris Here. Gay!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      I am not LGBTQ, but since I have experienced almost exactly what you are experiencing with Tinnitus, I would think you might be interested in my input in spite of my orientation.

In short, I too have SSHL. Only I have total 100% loss of hearing in my right ear and am now left with significant Tinnitus noise that on a good day sounds like a hissing, staticky, untuned radio or TV. On a bad day it sounds like a 737 taxying around inside of my head. Sounds familiar? Add severe hyperacusis to my good ear,....and you get the picture.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it. This thing is a real downer. However, the good news is....It has almost been a year for me (it hit me suddenly), and my coping with it has improved quite a lot. There is a lot of info on this forum about "habituating" to it, and that is the path I am taking. I am just going with the presumption that this thing is never going to go away and come into full acceptance, and get on with it. That attitude is required to begin going down the road to habituating. I hope you can do the same.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Hey! I’m a bisexual person, had mild tinnitus for nearly two years up until last month when I had a fire alarm exposure; turned moderate and much more reactive after that.

So sorry to hear this happened to you. Jet engine sounding tinnitus sounds unfathomably difficult to deal with. How are you doing now? Have you thought of trying to go for hearing aids?