Any Tolkien Fans?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by derpytia, Aug 2, 2015.

1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Just wondering if there are any on this forum besides me. I think I've talked my friends' ears off (not literally lol). Started with the Hobbit when I was 6 and now I've read and watched just about everything and my obsession has not diminished! :D

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bump bump.
      Along with everything else, some of Tolkien's greatest (at least in my opinion) quotes give me a little inspiration.

“Many are the strange chances of the world,’ said Mithrandir, ‘and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.”

“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer."

And that's just some of them. Tolkien I think was a really wise man/writer.

3. Lucas G.
      Procrastinating

Lucas G. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Here a new Tolkien fan. I read The hobbit when I was in my last year in the school and I was fascinated.
      In fact, I'm thinking to get a special edition of Tolkien ( like a mini-box), maybe for christmas ... what includes The hobbit and other stories in books of hard cover. :D
      Later I'll give a chance for the trilogy of the LOTR.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's awesome! I read The Hobbit when I was six and it's been my favorite book (mostly for the nostalgia) to this day out of all of Tolkien's works. The Silmarillion and the other books such as Children of Hurin and Book of Lost Tales were written more like history book and I didn't get through those until I was older. Fascinating stuff and all from the mind of one man :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      "Speak friend and enter"

I've been a J.R.R. Tolkien fan for years. I read LOTR and then The Hobbit. I also read The Simarillion, which Tolkien's son published posthumously and covers the first and second ages. I resisted seeing the LOTR movies for years as I was afraid they would not be faithful to the books but when I finally watched them, I loved them. I loved the part when Frodo offers the One Ring to Galadriel. I also love Gandalf--Grey and White.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Cicadas 24/7

Cicadas 24/7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud concert
      I am a huge Tolkien fan. I just got through reading The Hobbit and the 3 LOTR books (for like the bazillionth time). I watched all the movies, too...but they do not do the books justice. I mean, how could you leave out Tom Bombadil!?!? Only the oldest living creature in Middle Earth! And how could they leave out the scouring of the Shire at the end? Yeah, you could say that I am a Tolkien nerd. The man created an entire language!

I am going to start The Simarillion soon, and I want to pick up a copy of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

7. Juan Fichtl

Juan Fichtl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      I'm a Tolkien fan too! I love the movies and the books, especially for all the little gems of philological and philosophical brilliance. Though admittedly I haven't read the Simarillion. I loved Niggle leaf too :D

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I have read the LOTR trilogy three times: once in middle school (I was about age 12), once as was finishing up college (about age 20) and once again when the movies started coming out (in my mid 40s). It was a very different experience each time, amazing. I loved the upgraded maps that were in the last version I read, a fancier hardback set that I purchased as my paperback ones had fallen apart.

LOTR is the classic quest story. I love the part where Frodo says: "I will take the ring, although I do not know the way."

Also curious what others think: After my third read, I came away thinking the trilogy is very much an allegory for what was happening in western Europe during World I (where Tolkien experienced combat) and World War II. Tolkien himself denied this and indeed he drew on many sources, including Germanic mythology, Old English sagas and Catholicism. But I think he ultimately was commenting on the times in which he was living.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True True @LadyDi ! It's also said that Hobbits are supposed to be a kind of representative of sheltered english countryfolk from the past. Even J.R.R. Tolkien said that he related most to a Hobbit because he liked food, smoking, and plants best of all.

• Like Like x 1
    10. svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones maybe?not sure really.
      Here here