Anybody Else Have Morse Code Type Sound?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Matt01, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Hi,

Seems my tinnitus is slightly unusual in that rather than a constant noise, it's like a distant highish pitched morse code that whistles away intermittently. It's not loud, so that's something to be thankful for, but I am finding it hard not to listen to, and of course you hope it's gone, only to tune it in and away it's going. It's more bothersome at night, but I am refusing to mask it in the hope my brain can eliminate it. Does anybody have any insight in to this tinnitus? Is it more likely a brain or nerve thing rather than hearing loss? My hearing test was pretty good, a very small dip at 4000 kHz, but that was it.

Any success stories? :)

Matt

2. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Sounds like pulsating tinnitus.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      No it's not that, I can't hear my heartbeat or pulse, it's actually a bit faster than your pulse. Like I said, a bit like morse code or even a modem or old computer game loading via a cassette!

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Anybody else?

• Like Like x 1
    5. JeffDamsko

JeffDamsko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have a friend who has it, he is not on the forum though. He considers himself habituated, or as he says he became friends with his T.

6. thesaint
      Confused

thesaint Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      this could be what is known as "typewriter tinnitus". Google it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Hmm, I wonder if it's the same, the thing is, mine is quite high pitched and intermittent, b,bbbbb,bb,bbbb,bb,bb. Doesn't seem to have any pattern. Is this what people call typewrite tinnitus? I need somebody who has this, or has had this variation to let me know. Would be very useful as potentially this form might be treatable if it's an auditory nerve block or compression.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Matt01 you might have a nerve conflict or just inner ear tinnitus. A good way to know is to try the drug Karbamazepin (tegretol). You would have a good reaction in just a few days. This is well documented and you shoud be able to discuss with you doc.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      I am really veering towards the nerve issue. Can it resolve? Not sure I fancy a powerful drug for the rest of my life!

10. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      As i understand it, it will have a dramatic effect. It has a good potential to take away your T. Surgery would also be possoble but not to easy to get. Start to try the drug for a week or 2, them you know. Only one ear? Any other symtomes?

11. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Where do you live?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Hi,

Am in the UK. No other symptoms. One ear only. Audigram seamed fine, perhaps one tiny dip at 4,000 kHz on right ear, but not statistically strong enough to say hearing loss.

Do you need to stay on the drug for life though? i.e. Does it just suppress T, not remove it? Am guessing yes.

Matt

13. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Yes you must most likely stay on the drug and it comes with side effects. Did you have an MRI?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Yes, and I have the disc of it, but am pretty certain they only checked for acoustic neuroma? (Or would they have looked at the nerves?)

15. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      On my MRI they stated clear nerve compression but of unknown relevans. Remember nerve compresion is very common. Try the drug. Seams to be an easy way to know and take it from there.

16. Yohann
      Balanced

Yohann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise probably
      Hi,
      I also have this kind of T in one ear since 4 or 5 months (with binaural HF T since 8 years). This one is not so loud (and not the toughest), it sounds like a random dual tone melody like C-DD-CCCCCC-D-CC-DDDD-C-D-CCC, only audible in a quiet room (computer fans and mild music doesn't mask it). No problem to sleep or read with it now, except in bad days.
      My last hearing test hasn't revealed any loss, but I think this one is noise-induced with my modular synths.
      Generally, this one seems to have "disappeared" when waking up at night, but reappear progressively. And sometimes, i can experience a slight silence at wake up, but only few minutes, after that, all T return to initial volume :).

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      That sounds so similar to mine. Not so loud, day to day activity mainly masks it, unless very quiet. Often wake up and feel it might have gone as appears quiet, but appears a few mins later. I almost wonder if it isn't there when sleeping. What caused your onset of this specific tinnitus?

Am considering HBOT treatment, but something tells me it's nerve related rather than inner ear, but of course I have no idea really.

18. Yohann
      Balanced

Yohann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise probably
      I think my new tones, and especially this one, are due to audio synthesis (I've restarted to play with modular synth one year ago, now i've totally quit). Not played very loud and only in my room, but with my old T, maybe it was not a very good idea...

19. Yohann
      Balanced

Yohann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise probably
      I have never heard my T in my dreams or dreamed about T. Maybe brain can bypass T when sleeping ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Yes I had that for a while in my left ear. It was intermittent and seemed to beep when I moved my head to the right. That part of my T has gone but T in my right ear is as constant as ever.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Interesting. You are giving me hope! How long did it last for you?

22. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      About 10 months or so.. It was very strange. I think it beeps every now and then still but not like it was. I'm almost certain that it is nerve based. Sometimes if I've sat awkwardly and compressed a nerve in my back, I will get the same morse code buzz in my feet. All linked

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Although nothing showed up on my MRI, I feel it might be nerve based.

24. CarolinaGuy
      Wishful

CarolinaGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely ototoxicity
      When mine first started about four months ago, I could hear a morse code type sound whenever the other hissing or ringing was fainter, at night, with my head against the pillow.
      It was a repeating pattern of three tones. Sounded like someone punching the keys on a cell phone in the next room.
      However, it seemed to go away after a couple weeks.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Exactly the same. Sometimes I get an EEE or white noise, but most of the time that goes quickly and I am left with the faint morse code. It is like somebody quickly punching in numbers in a cell phone, and is around 3 different tones. I live in hope it will take a very long holiday. :)

26. CarolinaGuy
      Wishful

CarolinaGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely ototoxicity
      I've heard just about every single T sound that you can hear in the last few months, except for heartbeat/pulsatile T.
      I've heard crickets, I've heard a single tone ring, I've heard hissing, I've heard pulsating hissing. I've heard morse code.
      Much of that seems to be gone now except for the hiss in both ears that sometimes shifts into a ringing in my right ear.
      The morse code sound was very, very weird. It might still be there if I listen very closely for it in a quiet room, but I have not been doing that. It was faint the times I did hear it.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Thanks for all the replies. I think the good news is that there are some people who have actually either got rid of this T, or habituated very well, so I take that as a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Daniel Powell

Daniel Powell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1970
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea
      Well, I've had hearing loss for many years and it just gets worse. Started as one pitch intermittently, then grew louder over time. Now I have many different tones going off all at the same time. Had a doc look and he said my eardrums were. Never had an accident involving my ears! Anyway, I've been getting the 'morse code' now for about two years, along with all the other noise. Today is the first time I could hear it clearly while busy with something else. Usually it comes when all is quiet, not any more! There is no pattern to it. It always starts the same; a few distinct pings, then steadily grows into a conversation, then tapers off with a few pings, silence, a few pings them more chatter. Mine are not all pings, there is a mixture of dashes also. Today I tried putting my finger tip in my ear and pumping it, but the ping kept coming while I was doing that. It's only in my right ear. My tinnitus is profound and causes problems in everyday conversation, especially on the phone. I've tried hearing aids but they make my ear drums hurt and after wearing them I actually feel more loss of hearing. I took prednisone daily for over a year for an unrelated problem. The tinnitus and the pings never went away. My ears ring in several pitches, different in each ear. I've learned to live with it, no big deal. I'm not, and have never been a person that runs to the doc every time something happens, and this is no different.

29. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      I have this exactly. There is a metallic oscillating fluctuating multi-pitched multi-toned noise in my right ear only. Like hell I've been burning reading learning listening to this noise go off. The noises go as fast as 10 tones in one second! Like death I am ready. It as though three birds climbed into my right ear and found a morse code machine then started fighting eachother on top of the machine :( :( :( get the picture. Now that I can describe it comes the part of trying to know where the damage is? If it's the nerve then stem cells are the only option if it's the hair cells them gene therapy but we won't know where the damage is until I die and have an autopsy so yes in very happy right now at 3am!

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Btw I have tinnitus from loud noises in 2011 and also T from labrythitis in 2015. Noise induced hearing loss is NOTHING compared to nerve damage for T. Noise induced hearing loss just gives you a constant ringing, nerve damage gives you metallic birds fighting on top of a morse code machine. I literally could not habituate, and I tried for a year. Lost my marriage and sold my business stopped working started meditating, NOTHING. I'm here to tell you that I would not be here to tell you any of this without my hearing aid. I would've off 'd myself about a month ago. My hearing aid is actually a tinnitus masker. We turned the hearing aid off because it makes an horrible whining noise much like the noises I already have. We found a time that covers the broad spectrum of "metallic birds/morse code" and also added some low end frequencies. Sounds like crickets by the ocean, Constant and consistent in BOTH ears, I'm OCD about symmetry need both ears to be symmetrical please. It cost me $2000 and I am going to buy another one which has more options next. I simply could not habituate and God know I tried everything, ear plugs swimming pools fingers in the ears acupuncture mental hospitals pharmaceuticals supplements excercise letting go holding on. Can't stop it won't stop it Me-me-me-me-meeeeee-me-We- WeMe- we we me - me we were meee - Bee - Bee Wee Meeee weeee bee bee