Anybody Else Have Morse Code Type Sound?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Matt01, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Bakes

Bakes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had severe tinnitus in my left ear for many years. But in the last couple of days I've started to get it in my right ear too. These new sounds in the right ear sound similar to Matt01's experience and are completely different to the sound I've long had in the left. In my left ear the sounds are extremely loud, comprising of a very loud and consistent whooshing and often pulsating sound from which I can usually deduce my heart rate, with another very loud tinny constant sound (ringing noise) above it. It's constant and I do a pretty good job of living with it considering how loud and intrusive it is. I'm amazed really that it doesn't drive me mad and I've no idea how I cope with it.

The new sound that's now started in my right ear is a 'distant' sound but surprisingly intrusive mainly because it is like listening to morse code - it's not one long sound but very fast broken up sounds, identical to listening to someone tapping in morse code on one of those old films. This sound feels like it's deep in my ear or brain. The louder sound in my other ear sounds like it's right on the surface, if that makes sense. I have had this morse code sound before for a few days about six months ago but it has just come back and I have a feeling it might not stop this time which is scary. Although it is very faint and not at all loud, it is oddly more intrusive and annoying than the very loud sounds in my other ear. It's almost harder to ignore because it is faint and presents the temptation of actively 'listening' to it to see what's going on. The sounds are constantly changing but always like morse code noise. No idea if anyone knows what I mean.

As for the cause, I've always thought that the louder sound in my left ear was caused by having my ears syringed (to remove wax) but I'm also aware that I was on carbimazole at the time (to treat an overactive thyroid) and I now know tinnitus can be linked to that. I had been off thyroid meds for about 8 years until recently but my thyroid condition has now returned. I may have had it (but it was not yet diagnosed) when the morse code sounds occurred in my right ear a few months ago. I'm now back on carbimazole and struggling to get my thyroid back to normal levels. Seems a bit of a coincidence that these sounds started again with a vengeance in the last few days, so I suspect my thyroid and/or the meds are the cause. An overactive thyroid obviously speeds up all the systems in the body, so makes sense that maybe it overactivates whatever the mechanim involved in the ear/brain that is linked to tinnitus. It's a nightmare really. It was bad enough to have it so loudly in one ear, and to now have to cope with a whole new set of sounds of a different volume, type and annoyance level in my other ear feels quite a challenge at the moment.

2. strato2009

strato2009 Member

this morse code problem has been really problematic for a year already for me, much worse than my normal tinnitus. I wonder how come so many people get it only in one ear:
      http://www.noisehelp.com/sounds-like-morse-code-to-me.html

some have speculated it's due to submarine communications and what not, but it really is a nasty problem that came out of nowhere.

3. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      This type of tinnitus started in my right ear a few months ago. It seems louder now, but I think that is because other tones have gone to the background with TRT. I have it in my left ear occasionally too.

Matt01, did you try the drugs? Or has it changed over time?

4. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I have the same as Matt, I'm new to t and I was trying to habituate then Morse code comes in my left ear and I simply cannot ignore it is driving my anxiety up which I'm also dealing with. I had no issues before I got the T trying to get an in ear masker hope it works. Matt did you try meds for it yet

5. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Yes I've had Morse code t, it came and went few times. Glad I haven't experienced it since it went.

6. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 10/17 - in remission, late July/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - possibly earphones.
      i had a morse code at one point. it started as a high loud whistle then to morse code then back to kettle sounds and back to morse code for a bit but has since gone away . its prob still there somewhere but at the moment it isn't apparent.

7. Richard Ratner

Richard Ratner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditory nerve compression
      You should google "typewriter tinnitus" carbamazepine. Works for me like aspirin for a headache.

8. strato2009

strato2009 Member

So how long did you guys have it before it went away? I've had it for two years now, which really sucks, it's much worse than the normal high pitched tinnitus which I also have to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Sanel

Sanel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have this too.. are any of u guys having any good news about this ?

10. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I had morse code tinnitus 7 weeks after initial onset. It stopped being morse code after my prednison course and changed into mainly single tone tinnitus from there on. An irregular masking sound could work a bit for morse code I think, I did notice I had to put the masking sound up louder then if its a single tone because I had to mask the high bleeping sounds fully during the night.

11. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      Yes I have had this for 2 week now, exactly same. Did you habituate to it? I find it harder to get my focus away from it compared to constant tinnitus that I have in my left ear.

12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have this. Two kinds. One in each ear and it's driving me to suicide :( I'd switch for a high pitched constant tone any day. Constant tones are almost a walk in the park compared to this (I have constant tones too).

Does Carbamazepine really work for this?

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You should try it. It can help if you have typewriter / intermittent tinnitus.

14. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I tried Carbamazepine. It made the ringing and tones louder. But the morse code beeps and knocking? Yes they went away while on it.

• Informative Informative x 1