Anyone Had Frequent Fleeting Tinnitus Episodes Before It Became Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Thuan, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      Hi guys,

I used to have tinnitus on my right ear only. I just realized today that my severe tinnitus spike is due to my used-to-be good left ear developing tinnitus. I suppose that's why I felt my tinnitus moved to the center of my head and that my good ear was feeling full for some days on and off. I remember having frequent fleeting tinnitus episodes on my good ear, about once a week.

Has anyone who has gradual acoustic damage have these frequent fleeting tinnitus episodes before it became permanent?

2. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I don't think I was having gradual acoustic damage, even though I use headphones they aren't at a loud level but I kept getting SBUTTs and then all of sudden tinnitus. First happened in my right ear and then in my left. I honestly don't know the cause though. It may be stress for me. Hopefully this doesn't last.

3. Tisyuck

Tisyuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs
      I had temporary tinnitus for <48 hours after wearing earplugs for a few days on two different occasions last year. This was around late July and Late August 2019.

Those were my warnings. I knew I should never have worn them again. But because I have hyperacusis and was not living a life of FULL-AVOIDANCE like I should have, and also because wearing earmuffs for hours on hours a day caused soreness on my head from the clamping pressure, I gave them one more try. That third time the T became choronic. It was bearable though 2/10. This was around October 2019.

But then I decided to continue to wear them and then 2 months later one day in Jan. 2020 I got immense pain from the earplugs and the T jumped to 7/10. It has gotten as high as 13/10. It's still here.

4. JR2020

JR2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multitude of factors
      The three months before I had full-onset Tinnitus I had more frequent and louder fleeting tinnitus episodes. Maybe a couple times each week. I just figured it was a weird little neuro-quirk that I was going through. I had no idea that there was such a thing as chronic permanent tinnitus. I would have definitely taken some precautions (stopped listening to music through headphones, vitamins, steroids) if I knew that fleeting tinnitus was a warning sign for a life-Changing. Although at that point, it may just have been a matter of time until a triggering event. Can’t know.

5. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
    6. ringingfeet

ringingfeet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      I had a similar experience.

I had fleeting tinnitus quite regularly just before my noise trauma.

This should have been a warning sign for me. I was using earphones too much in a noisey environment.

A party was the straw that broke the camel's back.

7. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Yes.

I had loads of episodes of fleeting tinnitus, and then it became permanent.

8. arctic_penguin

arctic_penguin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Yea, first with my Skullcandy earbuds for a few days. Sony XBR700 on full blast made it permanent.

9. benjd2016
      Irritated

benjd2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah yes I had this happen. First in my right ear I got SBUTTs multiple times in the low tones - then suddenly I got hit with an episode that also included diplacusis. Diplacusis went away and the tinnitus is much better but still there and occasionally it fluctuates.

Then a year later my left ear does the same thing. High pitched.

Cue January this year and I'm at my relative's place watching TV and lo and behold it starts ringing out of nowhere. I hit it with a large dose of steroids. Oh yes I also have slight distortions in that ear that have since not resolved but I hope they will improve.

I believe I'll die sub 55 years of age so I am starting to just not give a crap anymore. And if it gets seriously worse then I can also catch the bus. It's no big deal. As a pro-choicer I don't have to put up with this shit especially if music is ruined for me. My educated guess is it will one day and then I'll unalive myself.

I suspect my problem is viral or vascular and that's super serious and the consequences super devastating if it happens to hit the right spot. I was on antivirals and it still happened in my left ear so maybe I can rule out viral. So now there are only two possibilities. I either lost the genetic lottery or I have a vascular issue that will probably end up killing me any way. Not bad if it does because at that point my life will hardly be worth living at any rate.