Anyone Have Good or Bad Experiences from Having Just UPPER Wisdom Teeth Removed, No Drilling?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jen67, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Jen67

Jen67 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hi all,

I would love to know if anyone has had a good or bad experience (tinnitus or hyperacusis increased or decreased) from having just UPPER wisdom teeth removed, with NO drilling involved.

I am scheduled to do this Friday. Tinnitus and hyperacusis have been acting up—are probably worst since initial event (due to some recent inadvertent noise exposure). The teeth aren't bothering me that much, but they do sometimes and a pocket is rapidly growing that could lead to an infection. We're traveling abroad in a couple of months and I wouldn't want to have any tooth crisis while away.

I have some slight hope this could actually help. But if it's more likely to cause trouble, I can postpone. Bill advised postponing, but I would love to hear from others.

2. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably poor posture + bruxism
      Hi everyone,
      I have been reading about wisdom teeth and T but I'm still puzzled. My upper left wisdom tooth is coming out soon, and dentist say I have no choice as the nerve is dying. I am scared it is going to make it worse, but secretly hope it is going to miraculously fix it. Any positive experiences? Anyone who had wisdom teeth removed and no impact on T at all? Thanks!

Hi Jen, I'm in the same boat, hoping to hear from someone who had experiences. I expect T to be worse for a while due to sitting with my mouth open for a long time... But hopefully it will go back to normal within a few days.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Jen67 ,
      Hope you went on ok having your tooth out...im sure you will be fine,just might need a few painkillers.
      Love glynis

4. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I don't think that having a tooth, or teeth, removed will cause or worsen tinnitus. I have had extensive dental work throughout my life but had not had any complex procedures for several years prior to getting tinnitus. I had dental work done after T, which included drilling and a crown, and had no problems from this. I'd advise both of the members on this thread, who need to have wisdom teeth removed, to have their problem teeth extracted as soon as the dentist believe it's necessary.

@BeautifulBlue - Not to frighten you, but I had a tooth nerve die once, many years ago in my 20's, it was probably the most painful thing I've ever experienced, and believe me that's saying something.

5. BeautifulBlue

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I'm experiencing very bad pain at the moment @Luman :) generally if I know what's coming, I can cope better. It's only pain, and it's only for a few days. Then, hopefully, I'll be able to eat normally again, which is what I miss the most!! Thanks for the encouraging message, I'm booked in for Wednesday, fingers crossed it all goes well!
      @Jen67 how did your extraction go?

6. BeautifulBlue

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just walked out of the dentist, so far so good. Waiting for the anesthesia to wear off and the big pain to come Tinnitus wolise, so far absolutely no difference and hopefully it will stay that way.

7. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      Ive had al my wisdom teeth removed without a single problem. But that was way before i had tinnitus. These procedures are often done well, so i wouldnt worry to much.

Ive read one story from a person who had their wisdom teeth removed and it lowered his/her tinnitus. But it depends wether it was related to your wisdom teeth of course.

Good luck

8. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ Jen67 How did your extraction go? How did you know there was no drilling involved?

9. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      If I may answer, I have had a number of teeth extracted and drilling was never needed - they were just pulled out.

10. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For some difficult wisdom teeth cases, drilling is usually needed to remove bone and/or split the tooth into smaller pieces. It would be impossible to avoid in these cases.