Anyone Have Severe Tinnitus from Clenching Jaw?

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeb, Jan 3, 2017.

1. meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      I can't think why else my tinnitus would get progressively worse over all.

My tinnitus has gone from easy to live with to impossible to live with within only a few months, it started after a tooth extraction and now I can't drive much or walk much without a newly introduced humming noise in my ear which hasn't disappeared and gets worse if I drive or walk a lot, this was already hell to live with but since this and starting a new job I have been clenching my jaw in my sleep a lot and it hurts my teeth to chew in the day, my tinnitus is getting louder all the time and I am wondering if it is due to my jaw clenching. On top of this I get a very high frequency hiss over everything which starts when I get home from work on the evening.

2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What you describe is called Somatic Tinnitus and it's very common.

When I clench my teeth my T goes absolutely crazy and stays that way for about a minute after I stop clenching.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      My ringing will certainly increase (and my hearing often goes out as well :( ) when I clench my jaw.
      Clenching your jaw contracts the muscles right around your middle and inner ear. That can press on nerves or do things to the middle ear that can lead to tinnitus. Sometimes I think it is because the tiny muscles in your middle ear may also contract to a degree when you clench your jaw (staepedus and tensor tympani), and those muscles are responsible for dampening or attenuating hearing.

In some cases clenching my also compress the blood vessels that supply the ear from what I have read, which will also lead to T and possibly other problems like diminished hearing and vertigo. I don't know which blood vessels are compressed however.

• Like Like x 1