Anyone Here Sleep with a Box Fan Year Around?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raiz3R, Apr 24, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Raiz3R

Raiz3R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone/ear bud use, Gun, Work,
      I've been sleeping with one for over 20 yrs. And can't sleep without it. It also works great for the mighty T.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      My fan is on 24/7.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Genevieve

Genevieve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      @Markku, why sleep with a real fan when you can have the same sound through your mp3? Just asking! :cool: :p

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I slept with one for the first 25+ years of my life. I stopped using it a couple years ago, and now vastly prefer sleeping in an otherwise silent room. Sometimes I use it if my wife is snoring, but mostly I use earplugs.

5. Raiz3R

Raiz3R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone/ear bud use, Gun, Work,
      I tried it . It doesnt work as good since Im a side sleeper. And a restless one at that. My luck I'd end up choking myself with the headphone cord some how.

6. Pumpkinate
      Alone

Pumpkinate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've been using a fan next to the bed and a speaker (beach noise) under the pillow. That way I've got both ears entertained no matter which side I sleep on (y)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Well. I sleep with a white noise machine app in my phone and I stopped sharing same bed with my partner not to bother him. How do you guys manage it? I can't think myself living like that for the rest of my life. When will death come to me... :cry:

8. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
    9. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      The day I got T, I went out an bought a Hometics 6 channel, nature sound machine, with battery backup. $20 USD. I set it on my bed and use the "Summer night" setting. I never turn it off. I couldn't sleep in a silent room. I'd go bonkers in 5 seconds.

A fan wouldn't come close to masking my T. Unless it was a turbofan engine from an aircraft!

10. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sadly fan noises do nothing for my ultra high pitched T. White noises running through speakers don't seem to do much either. The shower still masks it.

11. TinThom

TinThom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion
      Same. Been sleeping with the fan for about twenty years. I tried to stop but couldn't. I quit drinking but couldn't do that.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Michael B

Michael B Member

I also use a fan but have been doing so long before T. I've gotten so used to it, it's difficult to sleep without it! As far as T is concerned, as mentioned by another, the fan does little to nothing to mask my high pitched T. That's why I also use a sound machine. Crickets seem to do the trick.

13. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      It used to be mild but I think it is severe right now. It is more like in my brain..

14. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I used to sleep with earplugs in complete silence! Now every day and every night is a struggle.

15. Pumpkinate
      Alone

Pumpkinate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    16. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      I used to sleep with a fan for most of my life, after a while you get used to it and it makes it very difficult to sleep without one. I only stopped when I moved country and didn't buy a new one, I've got used to that and it's much better than needing one!

When my T was bad, it could even creep above a loud fan sound and that made it even more annoying. I had to try sleeping right next to the fan to drown it out as well as masking it, on a few days that still wasn't enough.