Anyone Here with Derealization / Depersonalization?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Zora, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Hi guys,

The chance is small, but I was wondering is anyone has derealization/depersonalization as well?

Since getting tinnitus, my derealization is sooo insanely strong. Tinnitus and derealization is an awful combination :(

I'd just like to exchange some opinions with you :)

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @Zora, I went through depersonalization in my early tinnitus days. From what I understand, depersonalization is caused largely by anxiety. Tinnitus, especially in the beginning, can cause extreme anxiety and panic. Did for me. Hence the depersonalization.

It indeed is a real terrible feeling -- as is extreme anxiety in general. But I will say that when I finally got my anxiety under control, my DP pretty much went away. I sometimes have little spells of it, but not often.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Trish123

Trish123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went through this and still do on some days. Yoga and meditation helped a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    4. CapedCrusader2
      Inspired

CapedCrusader2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Anxiety
      I had depersonalization for about a month close to a year ago. That was before my tinnitus though. Mine started after smoking too much pot and getting really high during a time in my life where I was very anxious/depressed... It lasted about a month and finally cleared up when I filled my life with fun activities every day. I can't relate to your situation 100%, but I do know that detached feeling of depersonalization. My only advice is to keep busy doing the things you enjoy! It's very beatable!

• Like Like x 2
    5. Joe J

Joe J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj
      Got derealization a month after getting tinnitus. Honestly I'd take tinnitus over feeling like I'm tripping balls on acid everyday. My suggestion is an SSRI paired with an antipsychotic. Within two weeks I've already gotten 75% better. Fuck this feeling.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Derealization happens when you're too anxious, I think. I experienced derealization and depersonalization at the height of my clinical depression and generalized anxiety disorder a decade or so ago. I had both for a whole year (depersonalization and derealization). Half of me felt like I wasn't real, and another half was convinced I was going mad. It took a while before I felt like myself again. As for the depression and GAD, it took me four years to battle and win over those.

Hang in there.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      I have. It has been part of my benzo withdrawal / PTSD. I have had it for years but it started to improve. After tinnitus and other symptoms that came with acoustic trauma, my derealization has got worse. I feel like nothing feels familiar anymore when hearing sound distortions, tinnitus and experiencing pain in my ear. This is like an extra trauma on top of trauma.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I learn something every day. Never heard of this, but did experience it a few times and it was spooky. As mentioned, too much weed will certainly do it! My Zen meditation/mindfulness and stopping the weed fixed it. I suspect this happens when we have far too much unstructured time on our hands, which also makes our awareness of tinnitus worse too.

9. uncomfy
      Alone

uncomfy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/who knows
      I'm very late to this thread, but I was sent to the psych ward for a couple weeks during a particularly episode of it when I was 17. At the time it made messed me up pretty bad. Dealt with it less and less frequently over the years and learned to see it as the coping mechanism it is. When it does happen these days it's much less disturbing. Typically it's whatever triggered the derealization that is a real issue. It could have definitely been related to drug use back then, but I've been sober all of 2023 and still dealt with a couple bad episodes this year.

Since the onset of my ear problems, I've noticed DPDR gives me the sensation of muffled hearing even when my hearing is perfectly fine. I guess that's just a weird manifestation of dulled physical senses/detachment. At the same time that I feel my hearing is muffled, I also feel like everything's too loud :( Interesting combo since I don't usually deal with hyperacusis, but it kinda makes sense cause derealization has always made me feel like I need to get away from any bright lights/loud noises.

• Hug Hug x 1