Anyone Knowledgeable on Sound Decibels and How They Drop Over Distance?

Discussion in 'Support' started by shasta0863, Aug 10, 2015.

1. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Last night around 2:30am a huge firecracker, shot into the sky, wen't off. It was LOUD. I was probably 15 feet from my front door, where windows were open (all condos here use ocean breeze as A.C so we all have windows open) and it startled me. It's dead quiet outside. I estimate the firecracker got launched somewhere between 70-100 feet from the front door.

Does anyone know with say a 150db firecracker at what range it would drop to levels not causing a problem?

I wouldn't typically think this was an issue, but after the event and going to bed, I woke up to a pressure in my ears, which is upsetting my greatly. I'm concerned this is hearing loss, as pressure in the ear can be the feeling when you've had severe hearing loss. Since my ears are already in a bad place trying to recovery from 2 months ago, I'm panicking that this sent my ears over the edge. I'm just utterly stunned this could of caused me a problem.

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Doubling the distance between sound and your ear will reduce the decibel level by just over 6 dB and 10x the distance drops sound intensity by 20db. Other factors come into play such as obstacles which can dampen sound and reflective surfaces which can add more sound. A 100db noise at about roughly 7-10ft would reduce to 80db at around 65-70 feet. Check this out: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distancelaw.htm

3. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hi. According to the info we can find on the net you were far too far so that it could do any damage to your ears. Not to mention you were inside a building, so that stopped some noise from reaching you. I don't think a firecracker can be as loud as 150 db but even if it was, the rule says each time you double the distance you loose 6 db, so if you were 20 meters away that was far less than 150, even if I'm not sure how exactly they count it.

4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      P.S. I wrote the message before Erik answered and posted it only now, that's why overlapping..

5. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      so how much does it go down every metre?

6. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      Also read the box at the top of the page where it says: The same sound will not create the same loudness perception by all individuals (people).

This applies to tinnitus too. We talk about how loud our tinnitus is but there is actually no way to tell because it cant be physically measured. Its like asking, how happy do you feel

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thanks for the response guys. The consumer grade fireworks can reach 140-170db. This wasn't a little m80, these are ones that shoot up into sky at a moderate height and the explosion is extremely loud.

The problem with this area is the condos and garages and water create an amplified echo affect, which I believe allowed it to sustain it's loudness or even amplify it. It was completely silent outside and I was only 15-20ft from window that was open in the front. And when I say this thing was loud, it was loud. I couldn't believe it. From the description of my brother, he believes he saw it over the condos that are perhaps 50 feet away.

I'm also STUNNED to believe even if the firework was that distance or even a little closer, and EVEN with windows open, how it could of damaged me but I not only felt a slight T difference (which may not be relevant) but pressure in my ears. This pressure is real, and only happened after this event once I awoke. I just don't get it.

If I didn't have this ear pressure I wouldn't even think there was a problem today. Which makes me wonder if a pre-existing issue in the ear somehow got triggered by my panic state the night prior... it's hard to not believe this explosion wasn't the cause when you have a actual symptom a few hours later.

Thank you both for that information.

8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Well, if you had the reaction only a few hours later that might be because of your anxiety ? Just a loose guess, I'm myself looking for many answers like this..I'm not even sure if I know what kind of a cracker you talk about if it can reach up to 170 db ?(!!) Who sells this kind of crap ? That would be an equivalent of a rocket ?