Anyone Out There with Tinnitus from Neck/Jaw Where Tinnitus Went Away? 2nd Opinion

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mathew Gould, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My neck and jaw are doing better, but they are not perfect like before my tinnitus started 1 year ago.

My jaw is a lot better although not aligned perfectly and my neck is still messed up.

My question is should I get a 2nd opinion and go see another tinnitus dentist to try and get my jaw/neck aligned perfectly?

Is there any chance of getting it aligned better?

I don't want to spend a few thousand dollars and make my tinnitus/neck/jaw worse or not better.

Would another 360 jaw x-ray show anything?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      bump

3. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I wouldn’t. First, the x-rays they use are kind of bogus for the purposes of detecting issues that would cause tinnitus. X rays only show bone. If you have a real somatic issue you’d want an MRI which shows ligaments, tendons, and cartlidge much better. If you come to your doctor with neck pain, instead of tinnitus as a complaint, you will probably get sped through the process much faster. IMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Mate forget a dentist just go and see a chiropractor. After a few sessions if it’s not better then unfortunately your T’s in your nut not your neck.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      What do you mean by it being in your nut?? Did a chiropractor help you? I've been to the chiropractor, my neck doesn't even crack right anymore.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Would an MRI show the cause of your tinnitus?? Like if you're jaw or neck isn't aligned properly or something else is going on.

7. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      For getting it back in place if it's out see either a massage therapist or chiropractor. I suggest before making an appointment you interview them and find out if they actually do it. Massage therapists who work with TMJ are super hard to find, so chiropractor might be the best bet. However, MT can do more for the muscles and cartilage.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      With a neck/jaw misalignment or injury does the jaw or neck have to be perfectly aligned for the tinnitus to go away? What happens to the muscles, nerves, cartilage, etc in the neck/jaw (especially jaw) to cause tinnitus?

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Mathew Gould,

I suffered a serious head injury/whiplash when I was a teenager, and have gone to numerous health practitioners--primarily chiropractors--over the years to get relief from the chronic conditions that resulted from that injury. These many different chiropractors deployed a variety of different techniques, and I usually got some degree of relief. But it was almost always pretty transitory and short term.

I then ran across a technique called atlasprofilax--which I had done about 10 years ago--which I posted about a bit HERE. If you were interested in following up on this, the last I heard, there's only one chiropractor in the entire US that does this procedure. His name is Brian Elijah, DC, ND, and practices out of Minneapolis. I've gone to see him, and would highly recommend you take some of the questions you've raised directly to his office.

If he has anything to say about atlasprofilax and tinnitus, I would be most interested in hearing back from you on what that might be. I'd be surprised if he hasn't been able to help some of his patients with t and/or h.

Best...

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      In all honesty probably not. It’s extremely unlikely that they will find something that is causing tinnitus. They may find a bunch of things that are contributing but the solution is probably the same. I would work on treating the neck problem as a neck problem and if the T resolves then great!

11. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To be quiet honest the T can be any thing or things working together. I know a girl who's jaw I can hear from across the room and she doesn't have T. In fact it's pretty hit or miss in cases. Just luck sometimes. Though when I asked the physical therapist he said it seems more hit if the TMJ is related to a head injury or neck.

I do believe a lot of it is muscles. That either press on a nerve or the Eustachian tubes. I know my TMJ has given me severe ETD with pressurization issues. Also, you can get inflamed tissue and scare tissue from not just injury, but simply from having TMD/TMJ for a long time.

I think a key thing is paying attention to how your TMJ works. I don't grind or any of the other stuff. It's pure injury that gave me the issue. I only do light alignment and stretch exercise for it. I quit going to a chiro after it started staying in place. I use the massage therapist to make sure it's still in place but most importantly get my muscles on the right track. Also using ultra sound to break up the scare tissue. The ultra sound has been a huge help as more of the grit is going AND my jaw hasn't locked up on me in almost 2 months.

If you can't find ultra sound I suggest castor oil as well. You can put it on the outside on and around TMJ. I also put some on the inside of my mouth on the joints to help.

Let me know if any of that helps, or you have a different set of issues.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My jaw was never that serious. I could always eat, but I had problems opening my jaw more than 50% until I got my night guard appliance that realigned my jaw a lot better, but not perfect... I'm about to go to a massage therapist and she said she would do trigger point massage on my neck, face, and upper back..

13. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a start, but not as good as a real message. Not deep tissue persay, but at least moving muscles and nerves back into place.

So teeth grinding then? Ah, opening issues. I'd have someone check the joint and see if it is in place. Guard good, but you're muscles may be constantly inflamed and keeping it out of wack.