Anyone with Tinnitus Here DJ/Mix Vinyl at Home?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vin, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hi, further to my guitar post, I have always been very interested in DJing/mixing vinyl (70s, 80s, 90s soul, funk, hip-hop, r&b).

I am not talking about doing crazy club gigs but just an at-home setup.

Anyone out there who mixes music or spins vinyl with tinnitus? If so, what ear plugs do you use? What headphones do you use?

I have been researching and the best, so it seems, is to go to an audiologist and inquire about professional musician earplugs. These are apparently moulds they create for your ear, custom and high fidelity so you can still hear the music via filters.

Any insight, comments, opinions, experiences are welcomed and appreciated!

Time to stop giving up on my musical dreams and perhaps just pursue them safely and cautiously. Acoustic guitar and mixing vinyl are two things I have always wanted to do long before I developed tinnitus 2 years ago. I would say my tinnitus is mild and main triggers are stress and caffeine.

Thanks!

7640-D84-C-6532-44-B0-8-D7-E-D1-CE1-E135-BC3.jpg

2. Ears4Funk
      Inspired

Ears4Funk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, I am currently learning to mix soul and funk 45's in Melbourne Australia

My biggest hurdle is learning how to do this at ear-friendly volumes, that also do not aggravate my tinnitus and TTTS.

I have 15 dB musicians earplugs that I wear under on-ear DJ headphones. The earplugs protect my ears, but even with earplugs of that quality, it can be hard to hear the mix while wearing them.

I'm thinking of trying in-ear monitors but I've heard mixed reports about them. They can isolate external sound really well, so you use them at very low, ear-friendly volumes, but a lot of DJ's find them too isolating from the audience.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My advice to both of you is to be very careful with what you intend to do as I advise against it. Listening to audio through headphones, earbuds, AirPods, or headsets even at low volume, more often than not will make noise induced tinnitus worse.

Please type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts, from members that have noise induced tinnitus and returned to using headphones and regretted it, because their tinnitus increased and will not return to its previous baseline level.

I don't mean to be a killjoy but if you are not careful you risk your tinnitus increasing to levels that you wouldn't believe possible, by listening to audio through any type of headphones or mixing music through speakers at high volumes or nearfield such as a studio environment.

Unfortunately once a person develops noise induced tinnitus, even after recovery and habituation has been reached, the ear and auditory system are never quite the same. If a person is careful they can enjoy a fulfilling life doing most of the things that they want to do within reason. However, they have to realize there are some things they should refrain from. That is not listening to any type of audio through headphones even at low volume and be mindful of loud sounds even when wearing earplugs.

Please click on the links below and read my posts that you might find helpful.

I wish you well,
      Michael

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

4. Ears4Funk
      Inspired

Ears4Funk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Michael, cheers for your response. Very sobering indeed. I am trying to get my head around how headphones could create further damage if you can achieve a volume of around 55 - 60 dB, which is considered the same as everyday conversation. If I use 15 dB musicians earplugs under my headphones and keep the volume low, my tinnitus does not increase in volume, and it seems that that volume would be lower than just walking down a busy street. But yes, maybe there is a damaging sonic impact with headphones that I need to consider.

I only listen to 70's funk and soul records which at least is analog, and doesn't contain the harsh frequencies found in digital DJ'd music, but I guess any type of sound can be a threat.

If I can't use any headphones safely, then I guess I can't DJ. But before I sell all my gear, I'd like to hear from DJ's living with tinnitus that have successfully maintained their DJ careers or hobbies without creating further hearing loss or a worsening of their tinnitus through DJing if there are any out there?

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Ears4Funk, I hear you and in theory what you are saying makes sense but in reality, people that have noise induced tinnitus, risk making it a lot worse if they use any type of headphones even at low volume. This has been my findings with the many people I have corresponded with that have noise induced tinnitus. It is sobering but when you consider the distress this condition can inflict on a person, ask yourself is it worth risking your mental and emotional health?

I am an audiophile and can appreciate your love for music. Please click on the link below and read my post. I used to use high-end Beyer headphones that eventually gave me tinnitus because I listened at too high volume without realizing it. I haven't used headphones in over 20 years but still enjoy listening to music through speakers at a comfortable level.

Take care,
      Michael

Does Your Hi-Fi System Sing? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

6. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been a wedding DJ for 27 years. Once I open the dance floor, my earplugs go in. I use the cylindrical type that you roll up and that expand in your ear.

I acquired tinnitus in April 1996, but I had no hearing loss. When I had it checked three years ago, my ENT said my hearing was "extraordinary" for someone my age (58 at the time).

I've written many other posts about my long, painful journey with this affliction, the worst of it being a low-frequency hum that vibrates in my head and ears. It's been known to go away completely for a few years and then return for no discernible reason (like it did two weeks ago). Whenever I DJ for several hours with my earplugs in, it creates an effect called residual inhibition. This is (as best I can describe it) when the brain is "fooled" into believing there is still sound being fed to it even after the music stops, especially stemming from low, throbbing bass sounds. This phenomenon will actually give me a few days of virtual silence and allow me to carry on as if I didn't have tinnitus. Sometimes the humming will return by mid-week, and if I'm lucky, stay away for a couple of years. It really makes no sense.

Because I was practically suicidal in 1997, my doctor put me on an antidepressant. This helped me a lot and even made my tinnitus quieter. But since then, I've had many relapses and tried other AD's to help me cope.

I'll continue to DJ until I can no longer lift the equipment. But I'll always protect my ears.