AoHL Quoted as "No Drugs Are Currently on Trial to Treat Long-Term Tinnitus"

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Mark662, Aug 8, 2015.

1. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well, there is a possibility of that u wrote, also just one more hypothesis...But what else we can do, beside to educated ourselfs, exchanging information, wrote on TT abt possibilities....I am quite sure, that on TT there is more knowledge abt t than in many clinics around the World. We all are trying to understand our problem, to ask more to know more...

So, @Nucleo what is your opinion about am101, while I was reading, results from participants that are members of forum were not so bright.... One more reason why I have left that as potential relief for me (and 99% ppl here) is fact that AM101 is for acute stage, definetly inside 12 months. So we will be real veterans when (if) comes out. :/

It is not just about fact that it is preventive and for acute stage, but also because of mechanism of working (healing) that is not something that can be useful for us...unfortunately that is my opinion abt am101... If u have different, I would be glad to hear from u Nucleo...

Best M

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      We do not know if AM-101 works for longer tinnitus or not, Auris Medical is only accepting patients up to 6 months so we won't have any data on that.

It is also thought that excess glutamate causes an up-regulation of NMDA receptors, which increases neuronal activity. It also causes a down regulation of the GABA receptors which act as inhibitors. It is possible that blocking the NMDA will reduce the activity of some of the neurons by blocking the glutamate receptors. No idea what this will do in regards of chronic tinnitus though. Once/If it gets to the market, I'll certainly try it out anyways.

There is also AM-102 in the works. Possibly for chronic tinnitus but we know next to nothing about it.

Recent data and information (a big academic though) has been posted here, if you haven't read it already :

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/am-101-participants-updates-and-q-a.6558/page-20#post-119473

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      The title of this thread may be slightly annoying to you - no one with long term tinnitus wants to think that there isn't anything being trialled to treat their condition - but it was the statement made by a representative of the leading hearing charity in the UK on BBC radio.

If the statement was inaccurate, and I believe it to be so, as I posted my opinion in the first instance, then this thread has given members chance to fully discuss it.

I get annoyed by seeing adverts every time I use this forum for the Auris Medical trial showing people covering their ears and wincing, However, I know these promotional ads are for a positive cause.

.....and I've had this wretched condition for over a quarter of a century.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      The title in this thread is misleading, and should at least be in quotes, as it is not an accurate statement or title of a research project, as it would suggest to the reader scrolling down in this particular section. People would still be free to leave comments. @Markku

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      ....and it seems like every time there is a tinnitus article or mention online, there is a picture of someone covering their ears and cringing in pain...and as true as the might be for some, I find it quite annoying.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Great the forgotten 10 mil plus chronic sufferers and the 50 mil acute left in the dust.
      This is a capitalistic tragedy. Trillion dollar wars based on fascism...
      The US gov. has no heart!

7. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That is our chance, all we here are gonna be veterans, in 5 years about 70 millions, so we are huge market. Nor sure that capitalism is gonna miss that chance to earn huge profit on us (in 2020.y. veterans).

I think that drug that is gonna work for t. (aut63, Am101, am102, sf0034, or new some new one) is gonna need to be taken permanently, (lets say) once monthly I suppose, unitil the end of life. So there will not be (one) magic pill, or injection that will be a final cure. That is connection of capitalism and health.

But, personaly I accept that, and I think also the big majority of ppl with t.... (my opinion)

@Nucleo what do u think abt it, magic pill or permanent treatment, pill, injections, or whatever?

8. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @Lisa88 good point, I've amended the title to be a little more descriptive of where the quote has come from.

I think that this may be just a misconception due to the way trials are carried out, using less than 3 months to begin with and then expanding the length of time people have had T as trials develop. It's harder to get good results from a chronic patient so the trials have to start with the easiest treatment group or face a lack of funding due to potentially indifferent results.

It's probably not an incorrect statement but it could have done with a caveat of "the current crop of trials could very well help long term sufferers, however we don't yet know"

• Useful Useful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988

The fact is, it wasn't an incorrect statement. It is what Tracey Pollard said, and it is there for all to hear on the BBC site.

10. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No, opposite, AUT63 does not accept ppl with 3 months or less t

11. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I'm not questioning your reporting of it Mark; whilst appreciating that it isn't a good thing to say at all I'm only offering the benefit of doubt. It is after all a small segment and none of us are perfect, the benefit of hindsight is great. It's a shame it's committed to record of course.

From Autifony:

Q. Can subjects with Chronic, i.e. longer term, tinnitus participate?
      A. In this first study, the duration of tinnitus must be from 6 to 18 months only; this is because of the heterogeneous nature of tinnitus and to help Autifony best evaluate the effects of "063" in the first instance.

Not all trials are identical so my bad there, but the process is what I was getting at. Once this trial has completed they will move on to other groups, past the first instance of tests; they initially select the people that they believe are most likely to respond in order to test the drug and get the best results possible, very heavily influenced by funding.

• Like Like x 1