Are AirPods Pro Safe for NON-Noise-Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by asquared122, Aug 11, 2021.

1. asquared122

asquared122 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - TMJ? Stress? Sphenoid Infection?
      Hey folks! I'm asking if AirPods Pro are safer to use for non-noise-induced tinnitus as they have noise-cancelling capabilities, and I also have the settings on my phone to not go any higher than 75 dB with headphones in.

I'm new to tinnitus, it's been about 5 months. As far as I know, it's not noise-induced – I used to use earbuds regularly in college but never ever at max volume, rarely above 60-70%. I was never a fan of listening to music super loudly. I think it's caused by a combination of stress and TMJ, among other factors. It’s also not very loud currently- like a 2-3/10. My biggest fear is making it worse though. I also have some physical symptoms like fullness and ETD, crackling and clicking and stuff with pain, but it’s slowly getting better.

I'm getting ready to go back to school, and it just hit me - what am I going to do about earbuds? I use them every time I’m walking somewhere, working out, they are a necessity for my meditation walks outside every other day. Since I’m pretty sure noise was irrelevant in causing my tinnitus, do you think it’ll be ok to use AirPods Pro regularly at a low-medium volume? I mostly listen to podcasts or radio shows, which are quieter than music. I usually only do music when working out.

Let me know what y’all think or if you have suggestions for alternatives. I haven’t bought anything yet so I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Rudedog205

Rudedog205 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure? Possible concussion? Covid Vaccine? TMJ?
      If your tinnitus isn't noise induced, it is probably fine, as long as you don't notice it getting worse from using the AirPods.

To minimize the risks of ear damage while using them it would be wise to only listen at low volumes and try to limit use as well as taking breaks to give your ears a rest.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      I would not use any earbuds/headphones.

Listen on speaker.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      OMG, I got the new AirPods Pro 2’s and even from the setting up process they badly spiked my tinnitus - I now have a strange ear pressure feeling in my left ear so I’m sending them back. These things are dangerous and should be avoided at all costs!