Are Forums Really Good or Bad for You? For New People with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andersson, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I came here after panic about a spike after 3 years living fine with T.
      I still have the spike and struggle.

In panic I started you know searching about Tinnitus again like when I got it, found TT and registered.
      While I saw some support here and there, not just in my thread but others I also found the dark side as I did back in 2012.

Some people are just outright scaring others, and so many posts about basically you need to change your life if you wanna survive. And it will never be good to live with this condition etc.
      People always say, regarding what disease etc you get "Search to gain some understanding about it, but if you dive to deep into it you will not get better,you will convince yourself that you will never get better"

Success stories are the best part of this forum.
      I would say, if you come here as a new persona that got T, stay in that subforum and your own.
      If you go to deep into every thread you will get scared, you will convince yourself that life will never be the same.

I actually gotten more and more upset and angry reading this forum overall, and I think it is not really helping in coping.

I will take a leave from TT and might visit the Success stories forum when I feel down, and I will come back to write my own when I beat this setback and share what I learned in my journey :)

Also, bit shoutout to @glynis , she really is a person with a big heart.
      I wish you all the best in whatever you do, you deserve the best :huganimation:

And to all, Merry Christmas and Happy NewYear
      Best Regards,
      Andersson
      :thankyousign:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Andersson ,,
      Thank you for your kind words.
      Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New year....we are all here for you anytime and wish you well on your tinnitus journey...lots of love glynis

3. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I guess the forum is for people with all different levels of tinnitus, and we've got to all be understanding and tolerant about that whether we have it mild or severe. It is great that your tinnitus is not so bad that you can relate to what those folks are saying. Maybe you are lucky that you do not to need to vent in that way or take precautions to that extent. Enjoy that knowledge! Try not to resent the ways that others find to cope.

Merry Christmas!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I have severe intrusive T, and no one's post ever scared me. Quite the opposite, as I gained a small bit of comfort in knowing that I wasn't alone, and that the cold hard truth does factor into what I have to deal with.

Also, someone with severe T has the experience to truly help another with severe T, whether it's advice on supplements or how to deal with it psychologically or the use of medications, et cetera. It's kind of like you've got to walk a mile in those shoes before you can truly understand, no matter how sympathetic you might be.

There are members of this forum who, based on what they wrote on this board, were downright suicidal a year or two ago. They shared with everyone else their progress in coming to grips with this affliction and how they learned to adjust to it, if they did adjust. My opinion -- and it's just an opinion -- is that no matter what your level of T, tell it like it is, and don't hold back how you're feeling at the time. There might be someone out there who reads your words and doesn't feel so all alone anymore.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Your post is insulting to those of us who are hanging by a thread and whose only hope to survive lies with the understanding that goes on in here. Before stumbling on this page, my only source of knowledge was my family doctor, who was useless. My murmuring fridge knew more about tinnitus than him.

I've soon been here two years and I've seen hundreds of "new people with tinnitus" come here, get advice, and begin to feel more confident over their chances of improving and going on to live a life they used to. Once past that point, they stop posting because tinnitus is no longer a problem for them.

I wait for your success story !

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      Thats the nature of an open forum. Take the positive with the negative and understand that people are at different points in their journeys. For me, just learning that I was not alone was/is help enough. My tool bar link to the forum is set to start me at "Success Stories". Sometimes a nice entrance makes the whole house more welcoming.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      If this forum is your biggest issue/enemy than I would say that your tinnitus is mild.

Oh, and don't watch any scary news or movies either, get your mom to put some filters on your Netflix and Internet account, also, maybe a heavy duty lock on door leading to your bedroom in the basement of your parents place. That should keep you safe. If anyone says anything scary, just hold your your hands over your ears, your mommy will be there soon I'm sure.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Is this forum good or bad? Yes, no, but yes...and no....and ...maybe, but yes....no...

• Funny Funny x 2
    9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A forum as a great place to go when you need support for tinnitus at any level and regardless if feeling ok ,low,depressed or thoughts of suicide or lonely,scared and don't know what to do or which way to turn next.

We are all here to share our experience with tinnitus as we all have our own tinnitus journey and what we have encountered along the way.

We put in to a forum what we know and get out of it what help we need and hope make friends along the way going through the same.

Tinnitus Talk is the best forum going and everyone's post is as important as the next....
      so to the title on this thread- yes forums are important....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1