Are Headphones or Sinus Infection the More Likely Culprit for My Tinnitus and Other Symptoms?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by polarbears, Feb 10, 2023.

1. polarbears

polarbears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection or Noise-induced
      Hi guys, I am an 18-year-old college student. I have always been cautious about my health. I became very depressed in late September of last year and so I decided to listen to music on my headphones to cope. I never really used headphones before this. I listened way too loudly at first. On my Apple Health app, it says an average of 94 dB for 9h 7m. I had no idea about dB or tinnitus or anything, I thought that it was fine but I realized that maybe I should go lower. I feel like such an idiot now after learning about dBs and tinnitus. The next weeks were at better dB levels - ranging from the 60s to 85ish - but sometimes I listened in the low 90s by accident. The times that I listened louder, I did so to drown out noise (big mistake, I know). I listened until mid-December.

On December 24, 2022, my ears suddenly became full when watching an advertisement about hearing aids and I started to panic. All I could think about was that I ruined my hearing by listening to music on my headphones. I scheduled an ENT appointment and he said that I had a sinus infection and they checked my hearing saying it was perfect. I had really bad symptoms of a sinus infection - huge headache, nasal congestion, and ear fullness/pressure. I also started to think that I heard a slight noise in my ears. I was scared that this was tinnitus after reading about it online. So yeah, now I'm here. I took antibiotics for my sinus infection and the nasal congestion/headaches seemed to have gone away but I still feel immense pressure, fullness, tingly sensation in my ears. And I do hear a slight noise. But I would not categorize it as ringing. It's almost a hiss, but it feels like I can feel it physically - as if pressure is escaping my ears. I can't hear unless I'm in my room/laying my head on my pillow.

Do you guys think that was enough time listening to music to cause tinnitus or is a sinus infection the more likely culprit?

Thank you. I feel so overwhelmed and stressed right now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having a hard time with your tinnitus and ear problems.

Both acoustic trauma caused by loud music via headphones and sinus infection are known to cause tinnitus. It can be both of them aggravating the ears to cause tinnitus.

If sinus infection or Eustachian Tube Dysfunction caused you tinnitus, then try to get treatment for that. When those issues get healed, then your tinnitus will slowly fade out. If acoustic trauma from headphones is the reason, then your ears will need some time to settle, generally 6 months or more. You just need to be patient and protect your ears from further damage.

Lucky you don't have hyperacusis which usually follows acoustic trauma.

Try to read the success stories to give you hope. Try to learn and copy others' success strategies. I share some helpful insights in my success story "From Darkness to Light...". See if they can help you cope better.

Give it time for the ears to heal. Take care. God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      polarbears

polarbears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection or Noise-induced
      Hi billie48, I hope you are having a good day.

I know I have to give it time for my ears to heal, but I just wanted to ask you about what I have been experiencing recently.

So last night, for a few minutes (maybe 3-4 minutes), it felt like my tinnitus was gone and that I heard silence. This happened again today for a few minutes, in which a lot of pressure transferred over to my left ear and I couldn't hear tinnitus in my right ear (this is the ear that I mainly hear tinnitus in). Both times, the pressure returned and my tinnitus also did - again it's not exactly a noise, more a feeling or a faint hiss.

Even though these are good signs, I just had a panic attack again. I was thinking about how "great" my life was before this. I don't know how to stop blaming myself (if it is from headphones) and thinking about the past. Also, I started panicking because it almost seems like I feel my tinnitus - like the vibrations. This is either from the ETD or acoustic trauma, but thinking about it being from the acoustic trauma just makes me panic - it makes me think that I can hear the dead inner ear cells or something. I don't know really, I keep on transitioning from oh it will go away because it is ETD to "you are an idiot" for listening to headphones.

I know I just have to wait it out for some months and it seems like it may be improving, but I just can't get over this mental block of self-blame and self-hate.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is quite common and a human nature to regret about some mishap that triggered the tinnitus. So many new members have such tendency to blame themselves for it. This can cause much stress and anxiety or panic about the ringing. This phase will slowly pass and members then shift to accepting the new normal, which then will help habituation to kick in. So don’t worry much and give it time. If you already have silent moments, all the better. Good luck and God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Probably both.

6. Binnen-dahlia

Binnen-dahlia Member

Tinnitus Since: