Are In-Ear Headphones the Cause for My Spiked Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by xxtammixx, Apr 28, 2020.

1. xxtammixx

xxtammixx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Significant hearing loss
      Hi all,

I've lived with tinnitus most my life and, on the whole, just got in with life. Now it's come back with a vengeance and I'm wondering if it's because I use in the ear headphones as supposed "on ear" ones. My scientific theory is that the sound is being sent directly to my ear drum and, perhaps, an on ear set would be "softer".

Is there any truth in that?

Another theory is that if I listen to relaxing music that will help relieve the tinnitus. Is that wrong?
      Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      All headphones are bad for tinnitus especially if it's noise induced. Since you have noticed your tinnitus has increased, my advice is to stop using them even at low volume. If you continue the tinnitus is likely to get worse. Some people will tell you that using headphones at low volume will cause no harm. For some people this is true but for many with tinnitus it's not. The choice is yours and consider the risks: The tinnitus can increase to a level where it becomes severely debilitating and may not reduce. Peruse some of the many posts in this forum from people that have returned to using headphones after habituation and regretted it, because the tinnitus has permanently increased. Anyone that has tinnitus whether noise induced or not, is playing Russian roulette with their health using headphones of any kind.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The volume that you subject your ears to is the important parameter IMO, whether it's via headphones, in ear, or speakers 10 ft away from you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No reason to believe so.
      You could try notched music therapy if you still have hearing under and above your tinnitus frequency.