Are Laptop Speakers Making My Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TealD, Jun 22, 2021.

1. TealD

TealD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Are my laptop speakers causing my tinnitus to get louder? For the last couple of months, my tinnitus had become a whisper and I could barely hear it.

I just started a new job as a salesman and I have been using my laptop over the last week and I have been able to hear my tinnitus in my right ear, at a pretty loud volume as well.

I am not using headphones or any object that goes in my ears. I have been using the laptop at a desk, on my lap, and on my stomach. The volume is usually at 80 but sometimes I turn it to 100 if I can’t hear someone but even then it does not feel that loud. I have never put anything directly in my ear since I I got tinnitus so I am at a loss on why my tinnitus is getting louder.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      I wouldn’t worry too much about it, but if you feel your tinnitus is flailing up then it’s perhaps good to give your ears a break for awhile. 80 is pretty loud in my opinion. I’m currently listening to Metallica at 10 /100 on my laptop speakers and can hear it fine (bar some parts are a bit distorted due to my ears). I’d suggest that you turn the speakers well down to protect your ears, but ultimately it's up to you.

3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Using your laptop on your lap or stomach generally results in a bad posture, which can strain the neck and, I believe, impact the way we perceive tinnitus.

4. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      They can do. Modern laptops seem better though as the speakers cover a wider surface area of the laptop, making it easier to hear at lower volumes, with more balanced frequency response. If you've been given an old laptop with small speakers then you may be able to request an upgraded one on health and safety grounds, if you have a doctor's letter confirming the risk to your hearing.