Are the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Noise-Cancelling Headphones Good for Someone with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by James 25482619, Jul 11, 2022.

1. James 25482619
      English

James 25482619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I’m a big lover of music and although I’ve recently began experiencing tinnitus, I am now convinced that in order to listen to any music safely I will need to do so at safe volumes with noise cancellation.

Question:

I’m thinking of investing in the Sennheiser Momentum 3 headphones and I’m wondering whether anyone has had any trouble with this particular model?

Also, I think despite major stress and anxiety around the time, a new Apple HomePod Mini may have set off the tinnitus - they’re very bass heavy even with the ‘low bass’ setting turned on and I think that finished my ears off after a rocky road. Of stress and regular headphone use at moderate levels.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi James,

Exposure to loud noise is one of the most common causes of tinnitus. Typically, it is listening to audio through headphones, earbuds, headsets, AirPods, noise cancelling and bone conduction headphones that causes it, often without the person realizing they are listening to audio too loud. Using these devices for too long a period without giving the ears sufficient rest can cause it too.

Other forms of loud noise exposure can cause tinnitus too. Although it reads on your profile cause of tinnitus unknown, if you have been a regular user of the devices mentioned above, then your tinnitus is probably noise induced. Your tinnitus may not be severe at the moment, but if you intend to listen to audio through any type headphones including the Sennheiser's, then you risk making the tinnitus worse even when used at low volume. It is your choice.

Please type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts. You might find my post: New to Tinnitus, What to Do? helpful in the link below.

I wish you well,
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I was given the Momentum 2 headphones for Christmas 2018. Five months later after using them at work on a daily basis at high volumes, and after attending a concert, I got my permanent tinnitus.

Draw your own conclusions.

4. Ken Dalen

Ken Dalen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would advise you to stay away from any headphones since your tinnitus is quite new. When I want to listen to music, I do it through speakers in low volume or sometimes through my headphones Sennheiser HD650 without putting them on my ears.

5. Mal58

Mal58 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise? Headphones?
      Is your conviction based on science?

"... a normal hearing level could not guarantee freedom from the adverse effects of earphone use on tinnitus..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8772443/