Are There Earplugs That Don't Seal/Suction?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GoingGrayy, Feb 8, 2020.

1. GoingGrayy

GoingGrayy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1220hz/1275hz - middle ear pressure/suction
      I've used a number of foam/silicone/custom earplugs and all of them seal well as a feature. The problem is when I put them in/out the suction effect hurts my eardrum, and worsens my 1400 Hz (objective) tinnitus.

Does anyone know of any earplugs that don't seal much? Maybe some porous foam ones? I don't mind losing out on dB reduction.

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Custom moulded earplugs don't create a suction or seal. They are more expensive but worth it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GoingGrayy

GoingGrayy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1220hz/1275hz - middle ear pressure/suction
      I have sensaphonic and westone custom molded/silicon earplugs. Both create a seal, by design. Taking them in/out isn't so much of a problem with these though, as much as sleeping with them, lying on one side pressure to the earplug pushes/creates pressure in the ear canal/eardrum.

4. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It's important that they do seal. Just take them out very slowly. Grab hold of the plug with one hand and start to pull gently with a slight twisting motion. At the same time manipulate the ear with the other hand. Eventually the seal will be broken with no popping and you can slide the plug out. The whole process may take between 10-20 seconds.