Are There Quiet Fire Alarms?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaysterk, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Is anyone familiar with any fire alarms that aren't so loud/damaging to hearingthat I can run at my place?

I am trying to be proactive and prevent any unnecessary damage by replacing them with something a little less intrusive to our ears.

Anyone?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Unfortunately, over the past 3.5 years nobody on this forum has been able to answer this question...

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

destroy all creatures. they cannot be regenerated.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This comes up a lot, here's my take as someone who heats with wood fire and thus has even more compelling reasons than most for having a whole-home alarm system.

Reposting from another thread.
      You'll be hard pressed to find alarm systems that run at much less than 115 dB; these are designed to be loud for a reason. But there is no reason to be worried about that noise if you install your devices thoughtfully and understand basic acoustics.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I think you can have ones that flash for deaf people. They let off a really bright light, but I presume they have sound with them so that others could hear and help?
      But you and many others probably already know this.

Perhaps you could take the risk and modify them to only flash and install one in every room...

Disclaimer: I know this is a ridiculous idea.

The lengths we have to go through hey.

5. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The Google Nest Protect Smoke Alarm uses speech that talks to you to tell you what is happening instead of generating a piercing alarm sound. And you do not need to go near it to turn it off, you do that with your smartphone.

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_protect_2nd_gen

• Like Like x 2
    6. Tanni
      Twisted

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Yes, the company I work for has one of these and they are extremely quiet surprisingly. Definitely worth looking into.

Also, we are getting fire alarms installed in our building and the guy who came to quote us advised that there are three different volumes to choose from, so even if you have a regular alarm you can still choose the quietest setting.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

destroy all creatures. they cannot be regenerated.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This came to mind because I am in the process of very deliberately setting up 120 db motion alarms on a few critical places in my property, in some cases in very enclosed spaces.

Thievery is for fools, play dumb games and win dumb prizes. There's been some stuff missing from nearby properties, probably teenagers; I want alarms I can put outside that will wake me up inside and if that means subjecting an intruder to a sonic weapon, well, again, play dumb games and win dumb prizes.

At a glance it is not possible to easily get alarms that go over 120db, but I found one that's 129 and got that. You can get industrial 150db devices to connect to your own motion tripping circuit, but, that's loud enough to be "weapons grade"; probably overkill. Sort of amazing this is a product, though: https://www.amazon.com/150db-Industry-Electric-Driven-Continuous/dp/B07MV32WJN

I found this amusing, remind me not to live next to a ship yard.

I suppose people with tinnitus are well advised to not become cat burglars.