Are You Annoyed by Other Sounds? For Example, People Eating

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jackson1964, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Jackson1964

Jackson1964 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I have T as part of Menier's. My most annoying problem is being able to discern sounds in a noisy environment especially while dining w/ others. It seems like my hearing hones in on the closest sound which is often utensils clinking. I try to sit w/ my good ear facing away from my nearest eater. It sounds neurotic, but it makes me irritable toward the eater. I don't go to movies due to the eating which drives me nuts. Is this experience shared by others w/ T?

2. HighDesertSage

HighDesertSage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      You're not alone in that. I have t and hyperacusis and the sounds of clanking glasses, plates and silverware can be very annoying. I also get uncomfortable around loud vehicles (motorbikes) and barking dogs.

3. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Are you sure it's hyperacusis and not just an over protective reaction?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Sounds a lot like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia - that's if I'm understanding you correctly and you are getting annoyed at the sound of people eating.

I have hyperacusis myself and can how clanging plates, utensils and what not can be bothersome but I've never had problems with the sound of someone actually eating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      No sound bothers me except the sounds of T.---- actually nails on a chalkboard!!!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Not sure why, but I've always been irritated by two sounds even before T. One was the sound of someone eating a crunchy apple, no idea why but I would almost cringe when I'd hear it. Also, people who can't seem to chew with their mouth closed irritate me a bit. Other than that though, clank all the silverware and china you want in front of me I won't have an issue.

7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yup...totally. My ears misrepresent sounds and amplify in the wrong areas. Nothing sounds like it used to. Most of the time things sound tiny, harsh and painful.

8. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      As far as overprotecting, I wish I would have. I pushed myself into situations based on advise not to over protect. My H and T went way way up, and never came down after mild noise. I think for the first year or so overprotection is a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Telis,
      What kind of mild noise exposure and duration did you submit yourself too?

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well...I guess it wasn't that mild..maybe the wrong word. It was mild to what I knew pre T. Quiet pubs 65-75db. Hockey, not sure how loud this is, but seemed very loud. Music in my car (75dbish), dinner parties where things got loud after a few drinks, headphones while working out (low volume). The problem was, I used my old sound tolerance as guide. Going to dinner, I could never imagine this being loud. Hockey, I have played all my life and is very loud, didn't realize this before T and H. Most these things came as a shock to me after T. Loud before T, and loud now are two entirely different things.

I tried so hard to get back to life after about 3-4 month mark, my T and H just kept running up the more I did. And at the same time, before I started getting back to life (isolating myself in quiet) things seemed to be healing and getting better, even my H!

I wish I had listened to my body, and didn't push. I wanted to get back to things too quickly, now I sit at home with what I believe to be a permanent setback.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Im sorry to hear that bro. You will get your life back by habituation or treatment. Unlike the generations of ppl who suffered their entire lifetime with T, I truly believe there will a drug thats made available for us sooner rather than later and it will be a glorious rebirth for us all. The feeling of being rescued from a prison camp or shipwrecked on an island is the endorphins I imagine we will all feel.

12. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks Jay,

Yup, I couldn't even imagine being rescued from this. I would be the happiest person on earth. I don't think I would ever want to sleep again, I would have so much living to do.

I like to remain optimistic for a cure but I am a skeptic, I can't help it. It's just me.

13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Oh I would probably sleep for 1 week straight ! lol. Then start living .

14. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      With or without T, I have always found folks who eat their meals with their mouths open, making impolite sounds, to be far too annoying to sit with them. I will get up and leave. There is no excuse for them to eat as they do. Like cows chomping, these sort of people were never told by anyone in their lives how to eat politely. One old friend will eat while on the phone, and when that begins, I make an excuse to hang up. It's nothing less than pure self-centeredness, with no concern for others.